Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

whos been practicing?

Old 01-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: whos been practicing?

ORIGINAL: Big Ol Gobbler

after the kids go to bed.
Dang Gobbler, your kids go to bed at 430? Not long after that around here,its getting dark.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Somedays.... I'd wish.

I have lights on the garage to illuminate the backyard.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Ive thought about doing that too but im afraid id start flinging arrows more than I already do.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

I've been practicing mentally... my arm is still immobilized.
thats good....i read somewhere about a man that was wrongfully put in prison for 7 years...he had recently taken up the game of golf, and while he was locked up he did nothing but read and think about golf.
hedvisualizeeverything...the course, the shot, the ball, his swing, the wind, ect ect,.... everything that comes up in the game.

when he got released the first thing he did was play a round of golf and he shot in the low 80's.

not sure if the story was true...but it sounds very cool.
I too have heard that story, always wondered if it was true, but i wouldn't be suprised!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:15 PM
bigcountry

Its been over a month since i shot my longbow. Not sure what to do. If I shoot it alot, my right rotator cuff starts bothering me, but doing other things like shooting my guns or even climbing treestands doesn't seem to bother it. Next step is MRI I guess.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been shooting quite a bit in the basement to stay strong and off my deck........I have a question.

How the heck do you manage a longbow in a portable treestand!? [:-] I have one of my stands set-up so that I am shooting primarily off my left shoulder to the 2 trails the deer like to use past the stand.........7 yards and 17 yards away parallel. (They also browse in between)

Anyway, from practicing on my deck I can already tell that to shoot to the 7yd trail off my left shoulder from 20ft up is going to be maybe impossible?? The cant of the bow and that angle puts the bottom limb in range of the tree, the stand seat, my body.....everything! LOL
How the heck do you shoot steep of the left side of the tree with these things..........I am considering pulling the stand and swinging it around the backside of the tree to put the trails off my right shoulder just to bring that bottom limb out over the front of the stand.

Shooting on steep angles is a real treat with 60-64" bows!

Also.......how many of you guys shoot a longbow with 3 fingers under? I was shooting my recurves split but my longbow seems to shoot way high of my intended target with this style. If I switch to 3 fingers under and get the arrow closer to my eye my accuracy goes up tremendously. But it doesn't with the recurves?

This is fun stuff and my accuracy is serviceable at limited range but I don't understand the reason why I am seeing different consistent impact points with the same anchor on 2 different bows other than the straight grip of a longbow vs the high heel of a recurve?
I like the 3 fingers under for accuracy but is it just me or does that style seem louder and less powerful from a velocity standpoint?

I'm pretty sure that swicthing anchor styles probably isn't a real good idea?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i shot everyday,rain snow it does not matter, i shot at the least 10 a day and on good days way more then that.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 AM

I try to shoot a couple times a week year round.. During 3-D season I'll try to shoot every day....

Matt,

Steep angles and trad bows don't go well together..... I have not hunted out of my climber in 3 years due to this... I bought a Lone Wolf and I set up 15ft and under...... Also, I practice a lot with no cant. That really helps with those treestand shots.......

I shoot 3 under and it just feels natural. I never could get a good anchor with split finger... I agree that the arrow appears to be faster with split finger... I suppose if you had a bow tillered for split finger that would not be an issue.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup, I pretty much shoot everyday. Maybe not 50 arrows but at least a couple dozen. Depends on what bow I decide to shoot that day though. If it's my 74# HH, I'll usually only shoot about six arrows. In a 15 target 3-d range, I'll shoot that one 15 times.

Matt, I've used 66" longbows from stands. Sometimes you just have to adjust. Shooting from your platform may not be the best way to go about it. Shoot from your stand. Sometimes it means extreme canting and/or kneeling/crouching/leaning to get the shot off. 7 yarders are tough but can be done from 15 feet (I won't go higher).
Old 01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I use a 66" longbow, and this year almost all my hunting has been from a stand. You just have to practice from a stand--I don't know any other way to get familiar with it. I try to get 20-25' off the ground if I can (and have been busted even that high). It just takes practice, period. I set mine so my leg will be against the rail and hang the bow over it--cant your head at the same angle as the bow--that will help.

Unfortunately, I haven't practiced much at all the last several months--too dang busy trying to work, family time, etc. Last year most of my practice was at tournaments. Back when I had more time, I had a 16' ladder stand in the back yard, and practiced from it a lot. Had a group of co-workers come over one morning (we worked a night shift) and out-shot every one of them (wheel shooters) with my longbow. Practice the way you hunt.

Chad

Quick Reply: whos been practicing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.