Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrows slightly left

Old 12-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrows slightly left

Draw length: 28 5/8
Draw weight: 45 lbs ( my bow says 47# @ 28" but the gentleman working at the archery store measured the weight @ 45#.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ifyou have a mechanical release try that and see if they still Kick left....
if they dont your Finger release has something to do with it....
also make sure you are drawing the string strait back

make sure you have good form first and are grouping...likeDC said...
then if your arrows still kick left but are on spot im pretty sureyour arrowsare underspined then.

also have someone that knows a little about shooting watch and listen (your form and arrow flight)while you shoot...if you do this you will getthe problemwhoopedin no time...having someone watch helps a bunch when you are having troubles shooting...just have him/her give you some feedback after every shot.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

arrows fitting too tighton the string could beanother prob as well...LBRreminded everone about this in another recent thread.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:39 AM

The video I have seen on paradox, some arrows never really get out of it. and carbon seem to recover right away. Check the things mentioned, make sure you have a good clean as you can do release, if you are shooting wood, you might try a spine around the 55 lb range. for instance.

I draw right at 28" and my longbows are cut to center, and I choose 55# for my draw weight. I shoot wood arrows spined 65-69 to get the best flight with broadheads and fieldpoints.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:43 AM

Big,

Glad to hear you are working on that bow. If you are plucking the string, your arrows will show a weak spine. Using a mechanical release aid, which someone already stated, will show if it is your release. Otherwise, your arrows are a little under spined. Shoot out to 30 yards and see if the fletchings are kicking to the left in flight. If they are, you can simply cut 3/8" off the front of the arrow to stiffen the arrow spine a bit.

Also, check to see if the arrow nock is too tight on the string. Hold the bow so the arrow point is fancing the ground. Tap on the string. If the arrow does not fall off, the arrow nock is too tight. You can simply pry the valley open with a bow square until it seats correctly.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks all.
I was shooting last night after the kiddies went to bed and I don't know if I changed my release, anchor point or something else but the majority of the shots entered pretty straight. Whew Shot at 10 yds and had some decent groups. Actually had one round with three in the bulls-eye and the rest in the next the ring. Had some horrible shots to keep me humble.
This is really addictive! Its great that I can shoot right in the backyard. No long drives to the range... range fees, etc. Great fun!
PA... my arrows do nock a bit tight. I will open them up just a bit. Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:04 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

ifyou have a mechanical release try that and see if they still Kick left....
if they dont your Finger release has something to do with it....
also make sure you are drawing the string strait back

make sure you have good form first and are grouping...likeDC said...
then if your arrows still kick left but are on spot im pretty sureyour arrowsare underspined then.

also have someone that knows a little about shooting watch and listen (your form and arrow flight)while you shoot...if you do this you will getthe problemwhoopedin no time...having someone watch helps a bunch when you are having troubles shooting...just have him/her give you some feedback after every shot.
Alpha has a good idea. I was having alot of trouble finding cedars working well. Problem was inconsistency of the arrows. But was also fighting a unclean release. Most my bare shafting showed still arrows but I was at 32". I took the plung and cut them to the charts at 30". Something about them being so long caused a stiff reaction. Still had occasional still reaction. So I changed to fast flight string. Using a release, I show a weak reaction and using my fingers, sometimes a stiff one. I chalk it up to bad release sometimes.