HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Shooting high? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/171152-shooting-high.html)

killzonearchery 12-20-2006 04:12 PM

Shooting high?

I am new to recurves and have only shot about 50 arrows about of my browning, I am having a big problem, i can not stop shooting high not matter what i do. Any advice to shooting you can give me at all would be helpful. Thanks

PAstew 12-20-2006 05:56 PM

RE: Shooting high?

Hey kill,

Welcome to traditional archery. There may be several things wrong. But, it is difficult to know without seeing you shoot.

Try this:

Use a video camera to film yourself shooting. Watch it to see if you are picking your bow arm up after you release. See if you are dropping your draw arm elbow when at full draw. Any thing you can find in your shooting form will help a lot.

Next, your string nock may be too low. Try raising it 1/8" at a time to see if that helps. Also, are your arrows under/over spined?

killzonearchery 12-20-2006 07:57 PM

Thinks for the advice, the people in traditional archery have been nicer then most of the other people on here so I think you all for that. But I have arrows that say 45/60 pounds, is that still spined to high our is it just me shooting.

PAstew 12-20-2006 09:58 PM

45/60's. What is the length of the arrows from valley of the nock to the back of the point?What is the bows draw weight and what is your draw length? Are you shooting split finger or 3 under? Vanes or feathers? Off the shelf or off a rest? Bow's brace height and string nock height? Try to give all the specifics you can.

I read your 2nd post as well. And I agree, give your self some time to become used to a new bow. If you are shooting it like a compound, then cant the top bow limb to the right, if shooting right handed, this will open the sight picture and help learn the arrows trajectory.

Wingbone 12-21-2006 06:17 AM

If you are getting erratic flight, and the arrows end up in the wrong spot, its your equipment. If your arrows are flying straight, but to the wrong spot, I doubt it's your equipment. When I don't pick a specific spot on the target to hit, I'll shoot high every time. Traditional archery is more about the shooter than the equipment.

BobCo19-65 12-21-2006 06:46 AM

Besides possible tuning problems. Are you sure you are not collapsing, or not maintaning back tension throug the shot, or short drawing (push/pull). You may also be overbowed.

Also check to see that you are keeeping the bow arm on target thorughout the shot. It needs to be perfectly still from teh time you release till the time it hits the target.

CAJUNBOWHNTR 12-21-2006 11:28 AM

Aim lower;) put a cup or something several feet in front of your target and use it for an aiming point.adjust it until you get on target.This will be your "gap'

CB

killzonearchery 12-21-2006 02:40 PM

Ok, the bow is 52 inches, the draw weight is 45 pounds, I am shooting off a little rest, I am using vanes for right now, I am hitting the target high to the right, I have to aim to the bottom left of the target to hit the middle, I know i am keeping my draw arm strong becuase i had a camra watch me. The arrows are also 30 inches in length and my compund is a 30 inch draw, it is about 1 inch to short for me also. Any advice please tell me.

PAstew 12-21-2006 03:38 PM

1 - The vanes arehitting off the rest - try shooting cock feather in.
2 - String nock is too low - raise it 1/4". If the arrow flight gets better then raise it 1/8" until you get good arrow flight.
3 - Brace height. What is it please. Measure from the deepest part of the riser to the string.
4 - Arrow nocks are too tight on the string. Hold the bow down wards. So when the arrow is nockedthe pointis facing the ground. Tap the string. If the arrow does not fall off, the nock is too tight.

Don't get frustrated! This is all part of the learning process. Enjoy it. I believe it makes a person a better archer.

killzonearchery 12-21-2006 04:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, i am going to try it in the next day our 2.