Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Arrows...What do I need to do? >

Arrows...What do I need to do?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrows...What do I need to do?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrows...What do I need to do?

I raised the brace height to 6 1/4". I won't be able to get out until later today. I might run to a local... non-bigbox store to see what arrows they have. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 AM

You might be better off getting a new string while there. That long of a string may not get you a high enough brace height. 6 1/4" is still way too low. You can stay with a fast flight. Shoot some arrows while you are there. See which ones at what length shoot best for you.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:08 AM

Lets clear up a misconception -- "Fastflite" is a string material; "Flemish" is a method of making a string. A flemish string is not necessarilymade of Dacron. There are flemish strings made of modern fastflite type materials, i.e. 8125, Dyna 97, Dyneema 02, TS-1, etc. Merely examining the type of construction and determining whether it is an endless string or a flemish string will not indicate the material it is made of. There are plenty of Dacron strings which are constructed in an endless fashion.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Haven't been out to shoot yet but made a trip to the local archery store. I now have a 53" string. Not a fast flight as the guy at the store said my bow wasn't designed for that string. I could use it but it would cause too much stress to the bow over time. My brace height is now a little over 8". I picked up some new arrows too. 29 5/8" Easton Aluminum XX75 Camo Hunters... 2213 with 5" feather vanes. He tipped it with a 100 gr field point. Hopefully, the rain will stop here and I'll be able to shoot tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:24 PM

That's great news, Big! The arrows should shoot well for you. They are a good spine weight and total arrow weight of around 430 grains. If the fletchings kick left then decrease the brace height a little. If they kick right then increase it a little at a time. If you noticed the nock pointing up raise the string nock. If they point down lower it. The new string may stretch on you after shooting. Be sure to keep checking the brace height. When you find the sweet spot in brace and string nock write it down in case you forget the numbers.

Best of luck and let us know how the next round of shooting goes.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks PA. I really do appreciate all the help. I'm a late bloomer in the wonderful world of hunting. Took up muzzleloading this year... bow hunting is the next challenge. Must be a mid-life crisis[8D] Thanks again and I'll let you know how things go.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:17 AM

Gobbler, you're lucky. The fellow at your archery shop knows his business when it comes to traditional tackle. Your bow was made by AMARCO (American Archery Company) which was based in Illinois and went out of business in the late 70's, long before fastflite was invented. Consequently all their bows require dacron strings as the limb tips weren't reinforced for low stretch strings. I have a 66" 36# AMARCO Special which was their premier target bow at the time and it's still one of the sweetest shooters I've ever owned. Because all their shelves lack a radius, you'll either have to build up the shelf or better yet use a simple stick-on rest to realize the full potential of the bow.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Floxter! Its still raining.... ugh. I'd like to get out and shoot. Too bad my house is small... otherwise I'd set-up in the basement.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

it just got doneraining here for 2 days(Quad Cities, IL)almost nonstop(i think we got a little over 2 inches)...but atleast its warm mid 40's to low 50's with no wind...if it was colder i'd probably still be shoveling due to my driveway being about 6 times bigger than the average city slickers'

as long as you got 6 or 7 yards in the basement Go ahead and shoot...i got a 9.5 yard range in my basement.... and its a finished basement...havent put an arrow throu a wall yet[8D]
Old 12-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

You're getting the same rain we are in WI. Could be snow [:-]
Way too much stuff in basement for good shooting. Shot a little in between rain showers... arrows are flying much better... now I need to correct myself

Merry Christmas to all!

Quick Reply: Arrows...What do I need to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.