Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Beginner

Old 12-10-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Beginner

Whats a good beginner recurve for the money? price $100-$200.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Beginner

There are many recurve or longbows you can start with. The first thing is a lower draw weight. Something in the 40# at 28" range. Going to high in draw weight when you first start, even if you have shot a compound for years, is a great way to ruin your shooting form.

You can check ebay for a bow in that price range. But make sure you get arrows that are spined correctly. The wrong arrows will hurt your shooting as well.

An old Ben Pearson or Bear recurve will do just fine. Best of luck.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a used pse Impala ...its not the best but they are a takedown(you can change the limbs on it)...and when you decide you want to stick with traditional equip...you can use it as a bofishing rig...and buy something nicer
Old 12-10-2006, 11:10 AM

thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 04:56 AM

I would suggest buying a used vintage bow such as Bear, Damon Howatt, or Wing off of E-bay, for several reasons. First, they are very well made, and fine shooters. Second, they can be had for the money you have to spend, and third, they hold value, therefore when you decide to move on to a different bow, you can re-coop must all of your money, if not actually making a profit.

Buying a new production bow is OK, but your resale vale drops instantly.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:02 AM

Yep, what he said
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 PM

how much faith could be put into a 50 y/o Bear Archery bow? I have one that is pretty much new that belonged to my great uncle, I have it hanging on the walland I'm tryin to get abit into trad. archery but I'm scared to death to even draw it back, I'm too worried about breaking it. I might could find another but dont know how much stress it could take after the years.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

dont ever say that about my hunting grounds. I have lived in michigan for 10 years! It is the best deer hunting ever so dont talk crap about my state.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

[:-][:-][:-]

ORIGINAL: younggun22

dont ever say that about my hunting grounds. I have lived in michigan for 10 years! It is the best deer hunting ever so dont talk crap about my state.
[][][][][][][][&o][&o][&o][&o][][&o][&:]
What are you talking about
Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

HighSierra, is it a recurve or longbow? If it's a longbow, you can sight down the belly of the bow and see if there is any warping or twist to it. If there isn't any twist it should be alright. If it's a recurve it will be harder to tell but if you have a bow shop locally the guys there should be able to tell you if it's ok. The two major problems with older bows are: 1)if they are made of wood and aren't stored decently they have a tendency to twist and 2)if made of fiberglass they become brittle and crack. Take heart though, my uncle has two lemonwood longbows madein the late '40's or early '50's. He "stored" them in his barn for close to 15 years before my brother and I found them last year. Both bows were dirty and the bow strings were long gone. We pulled them out, got new strings and both were fine, though they could use refinishing.

Quick Reply: Beginner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.