Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Just Wondering

Old 11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just Wondering

I am not a traditional bowhunter, but I always wondered how you guys aimed with the recurves and long bows. I never did know.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:12 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Just Wondering

ORIGINAL: xeniabuck

I am not a traditional bowhunter, but I always wondered how you guys aimed with the recurves and long bows. I never did know.
Just by sight and instintive. Kinda the way you would throw a football but be able to put it thru a ring at 20 yards. Repeatition, over and over, your mind just knows. There is some reference. Thats the end of the arrow in reference to the animal. But its subconscience.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally "aiming" is a very small part of the shot in traditional archery. Form,consistancy, repetitionmakes up a bigger portion IMO. Personally, I use a peripheral vision method for aiming. I keep the arrow below my dominant eye but keep the target in focus. The arrow is there, but I do not focus on it. If I happen to focus on the arrow accidently, I let up.

If you're really curious, get the video "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson. It explains this type of method.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The above methods (commonly referred to as "instinctive") and variations of them; or some people use sight pins like used on a compound, or there is a method of using the tip of the arrow as a sight pin called gap shooting.

Then you get into less common methods like string walking and face walking. With both of these, the point of the arrow is placed on target. With string walking, you move your hand up or down the string below the arrow for different yardages; with face walking you use different anchor points on your face for different yardages.

Chad