Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How do you make one?

Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM

Default How do you make one?

OK, first of all, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am traditionally illiterate, so please forgive me.

I was talking w/ a friend of mine this evening and he has lots of Osage Orange (Hedgeapple) trees growing on his property. He and Iboth would like to make our own recurve bow, but have NO idea how.

Is there an instructional book or something that can be purchased that takes it step by step?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:56 PM

Default RE: How do you make one?

Don, are you turning to the "dark side"? Finally your waking up.

You might want to check out TradGang.com, lots of good bow building info on that forum. They even have build alongs from time to time. You might also want to look for a book series called Traditional Bowerys Bible vol1-3 or Traditional Bowyer Bow Building Book all of these are available from 3 rivers archery. I also think there is a Bowyers magazine, but I can't remember it's name. Maybe LBR or some of the other guys can help. I haven't been brave enough to attempt to build my own traditional bow yet.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Check out your local woodworking stores, if one exists in your area. I've seen literature on bowmaking in my local store.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:28 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Primitive Archer and Instinctive Archer magazines might help. Dean Torges has a book dedicated to osage selfbows--"Building the Osage Bow". Lots of books available, DVD's too I think. Never tried it myself--strings keep me busy.

Pretty sure you can find (free) information by doing a search on the web. You might want to practice a bit on hickory or a backed bow first--green osage is going to have to season for a while, and as I understand it it's not the easiest to work with--tight growth rings. You'll want to start with a longbow/flatbow also--you will have to steam the ends and have some sort of form to recurve the ends.

One other thing that's kept me from it--if you really want to get into it, you will spend a lot more on equipment (and time) than you would just buying a good bow. However, once you have the stuff you should be ready to made gobs of bows before you have to replace much of anything--if you have that kind of time to spare. Heard it's also as addictive as the sport itself.

You can get by with minimal tools, but it adds that much more time to the process. If you can get to a shoot where you can see it done, it will help a bunch.

Chad
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 AM

Great and beautiful wood to work with. The staves have to dry for a long time before you can work it. You can buy staves pretty cheap. I love Bamboo backed Osage. It's almost transluceant when the light hits it.

Pick up The Bowyers Journal. Great magazine. Also, the Traditional bowyers Bible series ol 1 through 3 will teach you everything.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say about the smae things others have said. Does it have to be made from these live trees? Drying them can be a bit difficult. They have to be cut a certain way and dried at certain temperatures and humidity levels.

Here is my opinion. Find out in your area where there is a good traditional shoot. Most of the times there will be an individual that will sell you the staves already seasoned and let you do a build along free. Expertise and guidancewillbe available.Expect to put some time into it though. 10-12 hour minimum.

Below is a pic of my son (age 11) with his ossage self bow that we built last summer, he even made his own flemish string:

Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Don, are you turning to the "dark side"? Finally your waking up.
LMAO!! That's just funny!! Turning to the dark side......hahaha......Uh...no, Hell, I can't hit water if I were standing on the Arc with one of those....BUT, I love woodworking and I love archery, so I thought it was a natural progression.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll check those resources out. Yeah, his trees are standing and obviously green, so maybe we should cut a couple down this year and use the wood next year??

OK...forgive my ignorance....What's a stave??
Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

A stave is a piece that has already been cured and rough cut and is ready to be made into a bow:

Here is a sight that may answer some questions for you:

http://www.bowstaves.com/
Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just found this site, might be helpful to you.

http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53_56