Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 paint on my bow help me get it off! >

paint on my bow help me get it off!

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

paint on my bow help me get it off!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:20 PM

Default paint on my bow help me get it off!

Ok so i have a bow where the previous owner had applied some green paint to the bow(would not suprise me if it were spray paint) does anyone have any suggestions how to get it off of the bow.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: paint on my bow help me get it off!

Oh boy... That's not fun. There's no telling if the original finish is any good or not until you get the paint off, but procede on the assumption that it IS good and go from there.Start by dampening a rag with denatured alcohol and rub away at it.Don't ever let the solvent soak the paint for very long at allor it could take off the original finish with it. Work a small area at a time and be patient.

If the alcohol doesn't do anything to it, try turpentine. If that doesn't work, then go to mineral spirits. Sometimes it loosens the paint enough so you can scrape it off with a fingernail, sometimes the paint just wipes off. Sometimes you swear it'lltake an act ofCongress toget it off.

Again, just work small areas at a time and be patient. You'll get through it and probably have a good looking bow when you're done.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 PM

ok i will get back to you with an update as soon asi try to get it off which im not sure when
Old 11-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

something else you might try is a product called 'oops'. BE VERY CAREFUL with this. It is pretty strong stuff. I got some at Lowes. Took wax off some paint and a light layer of the paint as well, however, i put the oops directly on the stain. Try it on a rag first.