Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Third Recurve Kill

Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Third Recurve Kill

It has been a little while since I have had time to log on, but I finally got a chance and I wanted to share. Last Wed. afternoon I had a couple of friends come down to Southern Illinois from my old stomping grounds of West Central Illinois. They arrived late Wed. afternoon and we spent the evening enjoying a good meal and doing a lot of catching up. Thursday morning dawned cool and rainy so we decided to do a little shopping for the "must have" hunting gear. The rain let up that afternoon so we decided to head for our stands. We arrived to our trees at about 3:30. At 4:00 it started to rain again. It proceeded to rain steadily for the next hour and a half. At 5:30 the rain finally started to slow. I stood to stretch and as I did so I looked behind me. Low and behold a large doe was feeding on acorns about 75 yds. away. I watched as she eased he way towards me finally feeding directly under my stand. I got out my cell phone and prepared to take a picture of her as she walked under my platform. When she cleared the edge of my Lone Wolf climber I snapped a picture..............forgetting I had set the pic. sound to a loud "QUACK!" She looked behind her at the noise, but fortunately she did not look 20 ft. up. I put the phone away and grabbed my bow. She walked straight away from me and I thought she was not going to give me a shot. Then, at 18 yds., she turned perfectly broadside to walk a trail to the west. The arrow struck her low behind the shoulder and the blood began to pour on impact. After 60 yds. her legs gave out and I watched her fall right on the edge of an alfalfa field. I smiled as I realized it had been worth it to sit through all that rain. I climbed down and followed the blood to where I had seen her drop. Needless to say I was more than happy as I gazed down at a very large, mature doe. Since she made number three for the season, I am now looking for a good buck and maybe a couple of turkeys. The rest of the weekend was great. I got to hunt some more with my buddies, we saw some more deer, and even squeezed in some fishing. All the while we were feasting on fresh grilled venison. It was trully a wonderful weekend.
For those who are interested, I took this doe using a Carbon Express Heritage 250 tipped with a 125 gr. three blade Muzzy. The other two deer I have killed this season fell to cedar shafts and Wensel Woodsman broadheads. This is the first that I have taken with a carbon arrow out of the recurve. I was quite impressed with the performance and with the fact that I can use the arrow again.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:59 PM

Default RE: Third Recurve Kill

That sounds like one awesome hunt. Nothing better than enjoying the company of good friends and and a successful hunt to share with them. Congratulations.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:57 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Congrats again!

Chad
Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I am truly hooked on trad. archery now. I can't imagine going back to a compound.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

You said you got a pic before the shot.....so where is it?

How bout a before and after?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:41 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you are pretty dang good at it too! I'm jealous...........(only managed one 90 minute hunt so far.......it's killin' me!!!!)

Chad
Old 10-28-2006, 05:48 PM
bigcountry

Goodness gracious, have you ever missed yet with traditional equipment? Thats pretty darn good if you ask me.

What's your bow?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

okietreedude, The pics I took are on my cell phone and I don't have the interface cable. Chad recommended a nice digital camera to me, but I haven't made the time to go look at it.
bigcountry, The bow is a Chek Mate Falcon Special #53@28". I got it from Chad the first weekof June and I have shot it every day leading up to our Oct. 1 opener. I am lucky enough, and cursed as well, that my shop is right behind our home. That allows me to step out and shoot at least 10 arrows a day, usually more.
Have I missed? Yes, plenty of times in the back yard and I don't have the lost arrows to prove it. Like I said before, I promised myself that I would not take a shot at a deer over twenty yds. this season. Of the three I have killed, all have been inside that distance and broadside or quartering away. I have no misconceptions, I am sure I will have my share of misses on game and I will be more than happy to share those stories too.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: rdy2hnt

okietreedude, The pics I took are on my cell phone and I don't have the interface cable. Chad recommended a nice digital camera to me, but I haven't made the time to go look at it.
bigcountry, The bow is a Chek Mate Falcon Special #53@28". I got it from Chad the first weekof June and I have shot it every day leading up to our Oct. 1 opener. I am lucky enough, and cursed as well, that my shop is right behind our home. That allows me to step out and shoot at least 10 arrows a day, usually more.
Have I missed? Yes, plenty of times in the back yard and I don't have the lost arrows to prove it. Like I said before, I promised myself that I would not take a shot at a deer over twenty yds. this season. Of the three I have killed, all have been inside that distance and broadside or quartering away. I have no misconceptions, I am sure I will have my share of misses on game and I will be more than happy to share those stories too.
All I can say, is your on this year. 3 deer in a row and havn't missed on a deer yet and shooting since june. Congrads.

Quick Reply: Third Recurve Kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.