Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurves and carbons

Old 10-25-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Recurves and carbons

I have a Hawkeye recurve /50 lb @28". My draw is 30". I figure my pull is about 62 lb. I am thinking about shooting carbons. I got some Browning carbons for Xmas from a relative. Are they safe to shoot in my recurve? They are set up with 125's now. Right now I shoot 2315 xx75. I would hate to blow the bow up with too light of arrows. Are the Browning carbons junk? Anyone know who makes them for Browning?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recurves and carbons

I bought a dozen Beman Clasic 400 for my Kudu/55#/28".got them all set up with feathers and 125gr field points,and when all said and done,I bought a dozen ceders for it insted,Just didnt feel right to me shooting carbons out of a recurve.The carbons were faster and flew great.But with Traditional comes wood.
I now shoot ceder out of all 3 of my bows.
I have some old 2315s,and tried them just to see,they flew funny due to the vanes.
So now I have 80 bucks into arrows I wont use.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM

If the bow is 50 at 28" and you are drawing 30", your draw weight is close to 56#'s. The norm is 3#'s of draw weight for every inch over the listed draw length.

Ithink they are carbon force but, they are listed at 9 grains per inch and for a draw weight of 55 to 70. If they are the 400's.

If you draw 30" I'm assuming your arrows are 30 1/2 or 31". If so that gives you 279/280 grains for the arrow + 12 grains each for insert and nock +20 grains for feathers + 125 tip, roughly = 448 grains for total arrow weight. 56#'s/448 = 8 grains per pound of draw weight.

A little light in my opinion. All you have to do is add some aquarium tubing, weed eater line or buy weight tubes from 3 rivers or browning. Add to the entire inside of the shaft,from nock to insert. That should give you an additional3 to 5grains per inch bringing the arrow weight to 9.5 or 10 grains per pound of draw weight.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I used the Browning 60-75s with my 65lb recurve. They worked fine. Im not to impressed with the browning shafts for compounds. I bought them for a compound, and they had too light of a spine for the compound I was using them for, but got them to match one of my recurves pretty well. I soon switched toBeman 400s. I likethe eastonsa little better. I shot the Browning for a while, the only reason I swithced was because I messed up a couple and decided to try something else. If I had not messed up a couple of the shafts, id probably still be using them. I messed my shafts up shooting hogs two years ago. Didnt get full pass throughs and when the hogs would go down, they would role on the shaft breaking them. I had 6 hogs break shafts that year. I only had 8 shafts, so i thought it was time for some new ones.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PAstew

Ithink they are carbon force but, they are listed at 9 grains per inch and for a draw weight of 55 to 70. If they are the 400's.
I think you are right. They were very similar to some PSE carbon forces I had. Did like the Carbon Forces much for my compounds either. But you are right, they had the same specs.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Check out the Cabelas outfitter 45/60 with 150 grain tips. Mine fly like darts.
They weigh 500 plus grains with no weight tubes .
Old 10-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just used a Carbon Express Heritage 250 to take a doe and it performed very well. These are the only carbons I have shot out of my recurve, but they fly like darts and were reasonably priced.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

I bought a dozen Beman Clasic 400 for my Kudu/55#/28".got them all set up with feathers and 125gr field points,and when all said and done,I bought a dozen ceders for it insted,Just didnt feel right to me shooting carbons out of a recurve.The carbons were faster and flew great.But with Traditional comes wood.
I now shoot ceder out of all 3 of my bows.
I have some old 2315s,and tried them just to see,they flew funny due to the vanes.
So now I have 80 bucks into arrows I wont use.
Hey Ranger,
You made me smile. I like cedar, make my own tapered shafts even, but shoot everything. That carbon and fiberglass multi-laminated high-tech recurve (the Kudu) is technically a trad bow by the definitions used these days, but geez. Why or how anyone ought to feel less guilty of violating the code, or feel 'more trad' by insisting on shooting wood arrows out of a modern marvel like a laminated recurve or longbow has always been a puzzle to me. I used to feel that way too, then woke up one day when I shot my first matched carbons. If a guy makes his own self bow, twists his own strings out of something besides dacron and kevlar, knaps his broadheads, etc. - I'd expect him to shoot wood. I hope you or Chad don't consider this a flame - I just marvel at the inconsistency and irony of it all. I know this has been covered before, but thought I'd bring it up again.
Regards,
Wallypedal
Old 10-26-2006, 06:43 AM

Hey PAstew,

Thanks for the tip on adding weight to my Browning carbons. I got some .80 weed wacker string and put 3 - 29" strands in each arrow. That brought my weight up to 576 grains [with a 125 head]. Now I feel better about shooting them out of my recurve. I think your right about the poundage. It's got to be around 56 to 58. I will be slingingsome arrowstonight. Maybe if my skills return, [accurate out to 20yds] I will take my recurve hunting Saturday. Sure beats hanging on to a magneisum riser in 30 degree weather.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, Chupacabras... FYI.... The Cabelas Outfitters are Carbon Express Terminators with Cabelas name stamped on 'em. I'm using them (6075's) right now on my compound. Some of the guys here kinda giggle when I start talking Terminators because I've recommended them so often. They think I've kinda lost it, I believe.[8D]

Quick Reply: Recurves and carbons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.