Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 So what is everyone doing lately? >

So what is everyone doing lately?

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

So what is everyone doing lately?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: So what is everyone doing lately?

I was finally able to get out also on Sunday morning. It's been nothing but rain, snow and wind around here lately. I'm still in the process of cleaning my basement. Lots of stuff getting tossed and/or reorganized. I did see three bucks though (all out of range), two of them sparred about 45-50 yards out from me. That was kind of neat. I know Arthur would have went after them but I was stuck in a tree sittiing on the wrong ridge.

Anyway, I have to work today but am off the rest of the week, so hopefully I'll get my share of hunting in.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Bob....Jeff here from the "newfangled" forum.....lol.

Why a longbow over a recurve. I know NOTHING of either.....but I just like the looks of the longbow. If I were gonna tinker.....what's the ups/downs of each?

I hope I haven't asked something really stupid.....or REALLY hard to explain. I'm just interested.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 10-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Longbow over recurve? I didn't mean to give that impression. Personally I own and shoot both. I prefer my OL Adcock longbow for hunting though (well at least this year, things often change though).

What I'd really suggest doing is to maybe get to a few traditional shoots or maybe a club and try themboth out. As to which is better,it's really a personal thing. Usually at the bigger shoots there are used bows for sale. What I would suggest doing however, is to find out the minimum weight to legally use for big game in your state and start around there for the first year at least. I'd also suggest getting a decent length bow, over 62" for a recurve and over 64" for a longbow (assuming your draw is around 28").

I love the weight (orlack of) of a longbow. It feels like a feather in your hand. But there are always give and takes in archery. Recurves, especially take downs have much more weight in the riser and make for a stabiler bow.The recurve can also be center cut much easier. But I can shoot my Brackenburry3 piece recurve and my OL Adcock Longbow equally as well (especially of the begining of a shooting session).

Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I have access to a few recurves from the bow shop I live near. I can always shoot a few, there. 40 #'s is the minimum here in NC.....and my draw length is 29" (on my Switchback).

I might try to tinker with one over the off-seson. I think it would be fun.....and likely where i'm headed in this sport.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Figure your draw will decrease about 1-2" when you move to trad. 40-45#'s at your draw will be perfect for you.

Also check out "masters of the barebow" dvd from 3 rivers, "Become the Arrow" video and book by Byron Fergsuon, and Rick Welsch volume 2 video.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honeing in my Recurve and Longbow skills for nxt yr,Plus alot os stalk and still huntin this yr with my outback.Nxt yr I want to be fully Trad out in the field,23yrs of compond is getting old,its really not all that fun,still get the rush tho,my bow season ends Dec 31,so I have alot of time left.
Just orders 2 DVDs from 3rivers,2 witch were mentiond(spl)above,dont have alot of time to read.so I thought the DVD were the best way to go.
My basement is 75ft long so Iam looking to buy some netting to put up behind the target Iam going to setup at10 to23 yrds down there.The wife will love me for that,but I need to shoot the bows when the snow and cold get to be to much to practice outside.Plus my 2 sons want to shoot down there too.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

My basement is 75ft long so Iam looking to buy some netting to put up behind the target Iam going to setup at10 to23 yrds down there.The wife will love me for that,but I need to shoot the bows when the snow and cold get to be to much to practice outside.Plus my 2 sons want to shoot down there too.
Snow is fun to shoot in. Our club sets out a course January 1st under lights in the woods.

Anywho, don't fall into the shooting group shooting only habit. It'll drive you nutts and you may form bad habits. Personally, I love to form shoot in the basement and I usually do it every morning. But I'm not usually working on accuracy, just form.

I'd also suggest putting in a door lock that locks from inside the basement. And watch out for the furnace and water tanks, they'll jump in front of you when you least expect it. [:@]
Old 10-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Form is all Iam looking at in the basement.I have a bearing wall that runs about 42ft so the only thing I could hit would be the floor or back wall,my streetrod,ATV's and Harleys are on the othe side of the bearing wall.I have a block a bag and two 3-D's I put out in the yard and shoot at.I just walk around and shoot them(when the dogs on his leash).I live on a lake in the middle of noware so I dont worry about anyone walking in,and the door is always locked.