HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   What traditional shooting dvd or video to choose? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/156366-what-traditional-shooting-dvd-video-choose.html)

holler critter 09-14-2006 10:57 PM

What traditional shooting dvd or video to choose?

Howdy! everybody:

Wondering what might be a good traditional shooting video to choose for a beginner. I 've been playing around with shooting instinctive split three and three under. I thought that a dvd or video teaching aide would be of some use in developing good form and all that.

I would go to traditional shoot,but so far as I know we do not have any near my home in Brown County (Georgetown, Ohio). I was hoping to find a dvd or video to help with my shooting. Do you all think a shooting video would be helpful? Especilally! so that I do not start using bad form and technique.

I located a couple of instruction tapes from 3rivers, but was unsure which to pick or not pick. was considering three by Ricky Welch,Bryon Fergusion,and FredAsbell? Which would you choose for a beginner. By the way I shoot a Bear recurve that is 45# at 60' and I have a 24.5 Inch draw from finger tipto finger tipmeasurement. What do you think myreal draw length to bow weight is at that measurement if the bow is set at 30' inch draw? I don't know if this helps in choosing which videos to get; just thought the information might help you all help me.

God bless and Thanks!
Holler Critter

ccarp00 09-15-2006 06:18 AM

RE: What traditional shooting dvd or video to choose?

As far as which video to choose they all shoot different styles, depending on what style you want to try. If it was me I would go to ebay and you could propably get all three for the price of one from a sporting goods store then you could try all three and see which style fits you the best. The easiest way to measure your draw length is to make a fist on the wall with your bow hand and draw and imaginary string to your anchor point and have a buddy measure the distance from the wall to the anchor point.
If your bow is 45lbs at a 28 inch draw your propably losing about 3lbs per inch of draw length under 28inches. Bow scales are inexpensive or if you don't want to by one most pro shops have one you can use. I hope this helps.
Good Luck and Good Shootin

BobCo19-65 09-15-2006 06:22 AM

My three favorites are:

Hit -em- Like Howard, Schultz
Become the Arrow: Byron Ferguson
Welsch volume II

(Spelling may be a little off)

holler critter 09-15-2006 01:45 PM

Thanks Follks;

I realy appreciate the information and suggestions that you've provided.

Holler Critter!

LBR 09-15-2006 02:39 PM

I haven't seen the DVD by the same name, but "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson is good, as is "Instinctive Archery, Volume II" by Ricky Welch. Both cover the basics pretty well, both cover completely different styles of shooting, and neither says or implies "do it like I do or you are wrong".

I don't reccomend Asbell's DVD. Nothing against him personally--met him earlier this year and seems like a nice guy. Although there is some good info in his, I don't agree with a lot of it, and I don't agree with the shooting style he teaches in it. Way too much movement for hunting (in my opinion, at least here in the South), and very difficult to be consistent.

Chad

Double Creek 09-15-2006 05:37 PM

Rick Welch Volume II

holler critter 09-15-2006 11:56 PM

Thanks alot folks;

Realy appreciate your information and help with my archery questions.

God bless and happy Hunting!

Holler Critter