Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

how much is too much?

Old 09-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default how much is too much?

hey, I've heard people say you can practice too much and wear yourself out. Is twice a day too much or should I stick to once a day?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: how much is too much?

ORIGINAL: readytohunt

hey, I've heard people say you can practice too much and wear yourself out. Is twice a day too much or should I stick to once a day?
Well, for the past 8 months, I have been practicing about 3-4 times a week. I had some left shoulder pain but went away. Now about two weeks ago, I shot about 150 arrows, different bows and all. That night it hurt (draw arm shoulder). Ever since then my rotator cuff has been killing me. Its finally settle down where I can use my arm. I though it healed last week, but I went out skeet shooting and shot around 100 skeet, and it got worse.

So what I am trign to say, don't hurt yourself. Pulling a muscle is not going to give you any warning.

I say shoot 30 arrows max a day, and be consistent.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:29 PM

In my experience if you shoot too much you start using bad form to make up for fatigue or lose concentration. 30 good arrows a day is better than 100 bad ones. If you are physically and mentally capable of that many by all means shoot away.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:18 AM
TGF

When i was shooting my best I was shooting 8 to10 hours a day. Shoot every arrow like its the only one you will be shooting..
Old 09-12-2006, 06:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TGF

When i was shooting my best I was shooting 8 to10 hours a day. Shoot every arrow like its the only one you will be shooting..
Always have to have the one upper in a forum I guess. Are you gainfully employed?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think a lot has to do with the weight of the bow and your physical makup. Personally, I'll shoot twice a day if I can. Once before work and once after work. How many arrows depends on which bow I'm using. My bow weights are between 50 and 65#'s at my draw. In the morning, I'll shoot between 8 and 15 arrow, and in the evening maybe a little bit more. I'f I'm planning on hitting the club's range, I'll skip the morning session all together and maybe even the next morning. This morning, I shot the 50# bow and 15 arrows.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's one of those things where it boils down to the individual. One of the absolute best shots I know (Rod Jenkins) said he shoots 4 hours a day or more. From the callouses on his fingers, I believe him!

For you, here's my advice (take it for what it's worth). Don't shoot until you are worn out--you will get sloppy and develop bad habits. If you start aching or hurting, you are overdoing it. If you can't focus on the spot, you are overdoing it. If your groups starts spreading, you are overdoing it.

For some folks this might mean they don't shoot more than 15 minutes at a time a few times a week. Others may be able to shoot several hours a day every day. You have to use your own judgement and be honest with yourself. Set goals, but be realistic and listen to your body. Don't make yourself shoot a certain number or arrows or a certain amount of time if your body starts telling you it's time to quit.

Chad
Old 09-12-2006, 08:57 AM

As LBR said, up to the indivdual, My usual practice is an hour or two, with a little stump shooting thrown in afterwards.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Spike

thanks for the info!! My body's not really complaining so I think I'll about twice a day should be good.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Not sure how all others do it, but yea, you can mess up your shot with over practice. That is if you practice to the point fatigue messes up your form. I usually practice everday. I start out with my recurve and shoot two to three arrows at a time. I take little breaks inbetween. Once I notice im starting to shake on my draw, I quite. I then usually pull out my compounds. That 60% let off makes a big difference. I can shoot my compounds set at 70lbs all day with out getting fatigued, but my 60lb recurve will wear me out after a little time. Its all in the individual. Id just say not to practice to the point you are fatigued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.