Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What kind of quiver to use >

What kind of quiver to use

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What kind of quiver to use

Old 08-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What kind of quiver to use

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what my options are as to a quiver. My riser doesn't have mounting holes. I'll generally be either on the ground or in a tree (obviously I guess) and I will do some stalking as well.

Oh Bobco, that quiver you had in your picture is sweet (Rabbit or Yote skin? can't remember) but how do broadheads work in there?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What kind of quiver to use

It's a large coyote. I had it made 25.5" deep. We had to wait for one that large to be trapped. It is double reinforced leather on the bottom, so broadheads are not a problem at all. I don't even need to put wood shaving or oats in the bottom. The upper is made form a conforming leather, so there is absolutely no arrow rattle even with aluminums. Let me know if you have any other questions.

BTW, how are things going with the McAlister hunt? Ready?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I'm still looking for the "perfect" quiver. I've tried back quivers, Lakota style, hip quivers, GFA style, and bow quivers. One I haven't tried yet, but plan to, is the Simmons rotary quiver. Been using a hip quiver the last few years. I like to take mine off when I get to my stand, blind, etc.

The drawbacks for me: back quivers--hot, too much movement required to get an arrow out, easy to dump when pulling arrows from a target

Lakota style--noisy, arrows dump easily

Hip--hard to manuver through brush without arrows popping out

GFA style--never stayed where I wanted it to, snagged on everything unless I was holding onto it, noisy in brush

Bow--makes my bow feel very awkward and out of balance, slight bow movement is amplified with feathers flagging

I found "THE" bow for me several years ago, but the search for "THE" quiver has been a lot more challenging!

Chad
Old 08-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Bobcats got one of the coolest iver ever seen. I too use a back quiver, not quite as cool as his.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I'm going to start trying them out right pretty quick to have it figured out.

As for McAlister hunter Bobco, I'll absolutely be ready. I've been shooting a lot, I think I've missed 7 days since the end of July. My groups have shrunk considerably. Right now at 15 yards I'm about 22/25 in my 6" circle, at 20 yards I'm around 3.5/5 in the same circle. I also decided to"over-train" and shoot at 30 yards a little bit (I definitely won'tfling arrows at that distance) but I think it has helped me focus at the closer distances. I've been reading a couple of the books you all have recommended "Be the Arrow" and taken my practice sessionsvery seriously. I've been practicing out of my ground blind, out of a treestand, as well as kneeling and standing positions. I hate to say this, but shooting a recurve is so much fun that my compound has spent a lot more time in the case this summer. I've got a hog hunt planned in the beginning of October at a buddy's in south Texas. There are hogs everywhere and I think I'm going to make this the first recurve hunt. I appreciate all of your help, I'll continue working on my shooting.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Selway on my recurve when hunting other then that I use a back quiver when I shoot 3-D.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, I got a hip quiver and a back quiver. I'm going to try them out this weekend doing some stump/squirrel hunting. I'll let ya know what I decide to do. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:22 PM

I too use a selway slip on, on my recurve. It quiets your bow and keeps the arrows close at hand. It also frees your back for daypacks if you spend a long days in the woods.

Good Luck and Good Shootin!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:51 PM

Boa's by thunderhorn archery-
i use a small fry and a regular full size Boa-
quiet light weight easy on and off-
plus they look very nice with 2 tone leather- in a variety
of colors
Old 09-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I am also looking for a quiver!

Quick Reply: What kind of quiver to use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.