Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Not to traditional broadheads >

Not to traditional broadheads

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Not to traditional broadheads

Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Not to traditional broadheads

I was wondering (although they are not truly traditional - well neither are my carbon arrows- but) has anyone ever tried any of the new broadheads that are coming out in the extreme low profile for compounds that are supposed to fly like field points?

JUst curious, i bought some for my compound but haven't tried any for the recurve yet.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:50 PM

Default RE: Not to traditional broadheads

I have only used 2 heads in my life Muzzy 125 3 blades and 175 zwicks. A well tuned broad head no matter the make will shoot like a feild point. I think alot of these new heads have to much going on. With a smaller head you will get more penitration but less tissue will be cut.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Spike

When u say low profile are you meaning the diameter of the cutting surface or the length of the broadhead.

I really haven't noticed any heads cutting less then 1 1/8", although I recall seeing a couple that have 1" cutting diameters.

I have shot 1 3/16" cutting diameter and expandable 1 1/2" diameter heads, both shoot fine out of my bow.

If you mean the new shorter heads the only knock on them I have heard is that they have the potential to deflect more easily. But I've never tested that as all the deer I shot couldn't tell me whether my arrow went straight in or deflected slightly by the time I caught up with them
Old 08-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Deflect this ...

He he he
Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

gtousey, do you use expandables out ofa traditional bow?

I have usedslick tricks with my compound in the past, but I don't really have any inclination to use them with my longbow.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Spike

BobCo - I tried some Thunderhead XP Pros to see how much of a difference they made while practicing - and while they are tempting for their forgiveness I noticed adrop in how deep they went into a target.

I do not doubt that they will do a job on a deer if hit just right, I can't say I would be comfortable enough with them to move away from my 125 and 145 fixed blades.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

I don't take shots past about 25 yards, but have never had a traditional two blade head, or two blade with bleeder blades, plane or fly any diff. than my field points.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about traditional bow hunting with a low profile broadhead, because I am new to traditional hunting.
But, I have compound hunted for around 30 years now.
AndI think it depends a lot on what you are hunting... a smaller broadhead diametermight be fine for a white tail, but ,and I can tell you fromexperiance, it is not a good idea for black bear. Bears have a lot of fat and can close the hole up and can stop the bleeding. Even on a lethal shot.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I use mechanicals with my compounds and fixed muzzy 3 blades with my trades. Make sure your local laws will allow you to use a small cut diameter. Some places require no less than 1 1/4 cut diameter on game animal. I use no less than 1 1/4 on thin skinned animals. But for hogs and thick skinned animals I use nothing more than 1 1/4.