HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Not to traditional broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/149418-not-traditional-broadheads.html)

SalCucco 07-27-2006 10:21 AM

Not to traditional broadheads

I was wondering (although they are not truly traditional - well neither are my carbon arrows- but) has anyone ever tried any of the new broadheads that are coming out in the extreme low profile for compounds that are supposed to fly like field points?

JUst curious, i bought some for my compound but haven't tried any for the recurve yet.

Guss 07-27-2006 02:50 PM

RE: Not to traditional broadheads

I have only used 2 heads in my life Muzzy 125 3 blades and 175 zwicks. A well tuned broad head no matter the make will shoot like a feild point. I think alot of these new heads have to much going on. With a smaller head you will get more penitration but less tissue will be cut.

gtousey 08-02-2006 07:42 PM

When u say low profile are you meaning the diameter of the cutting surface or the length of the broadhead.

I really haven't noticed any heads cutting less then 1 1/8", although I recall seeing a couple that have 1" cutting diameters.

I have shot 1 3/16" cutting diameter and expandable 1 1/2" diameter heads, both shoot fine out of my bow.

If you mean the new shorter heads the only knock on them I have heard is that they have the potential to deflect more easily. But I've never tested that as all the deer I shot couldn't tell me whether my arrow went straight in or deflected slightly by the time I caught up with them ;)

kevin1 08-03-2006 12:00 PM

Deflect this ...

He he he

BobCo19-65 08-03-2006 12:51 PM

gtousey, do you use expandables out ofa traditional bow?

I have usedslick tricks with my compound in the past, but I don't really have any inclination to use them with my longbow.

gtousey 08-07-2006 11:04 PM

BobCo - I tried some Thunderhead XP Pros to see how much of a difference they made while practicing - and while they are tempting for their forgiveness I noticed adrop in how deep they went into a target.

I do not doubt that they will do a job on a deer if hit just right, I can't say I would be comfortable enough with them to move away from my 125 and 145 fixed blades.

wyomingtrapper 08-08-2006 05:44 PM

I don't take shots past about 25 yards, but have never had a traditional two blade head, or two blade with bleeder blades, plane or fly any diff. than my field points.

ktbearpaws 08-30-2006 09:34 PM

I don't know about traditional bow hunting with a low profile broadhead, because I am new to traditional hunting.
But, I have compound hunted for around 30 years now.
AndI think it depends a lot on what you are hunting... a smaller broadhead diametermight be fine for a white tail, but ,and I can tell you fromexperiance, it is not a good idea for black bear. Bears have a lot of fat and can close the hole up and can stop the bleeding. Even on a lethal shot.

burniegoeasily 08-31-2006 02:48 PM

I use mechanicals with my compounds and fixed muzzy 3 blades with my trades. Make sure your local laws will allow you to use a small cut diameter. Some places require no less than 1 1/4 cut diameter on game animal. I use no less than 1 1/4 on thin skinned animals. But for hogs and thick skinned animals I use nothing more than 1 1/4.