Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Help me pic a new knife >

Help me pic a new knife

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Help me pic a new knife

Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 PM

Default RE: Help me pic a new knife

Home made caping knife from a reprocicating saw blade and antler bone handle, total cost >30 cents. Sharp as heck

Old 07-25-2006, 04:01 PM

Curlis, the knifs are made in Rappid River, a small town in the southern Upper Penn of MI.

Alex, that is a good looking tool. Thanks for the pic.

I went with the drop point with the second handle. The custom was to small for my hand. The wood on mine has alittle moregrain then the one in the pic.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Ya'll, Been following this for awhile, and thanks for showing some purty blades!! I got a couple of "store-boughts" that work real good for me. They are Schrade "Old Timers". Think Schrade went out of business, not sure, but they are still around if ya look. The one on top is called the "Sharp Finger", don't know what they call the one w/ gut hook, but it's right under the S.F. in the display cases. The one w/ gut hook makes real short work of dressing hogs, and both will hold an edge along time.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Hi Ya'll, Been following this for awhile, and thanks for showing some purty blades!! I got a couple of "store-boughts" that work real good for me. They are Schrade "Old Timers". Think Schrade went out of business, not sure, but they are still around if ya look. The one on top is called the "Sharp Finger", don't know what they call the one w/ gut hook, but it's right under the S.F. in the display cases. The one w/ gut hook makes real short work of dressing hogs, and both will hold an edge along time.

Schrade are excellent knives, I have one that is the sharpest knife I ever seen, wish I could get another.
They are out of Buisiness ?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been told they are done, and the three stores in the town I live in have display cases that are constantly shrinking, lot's of empty spots where they sold even the blade on display. I bought the SF for 1/2 off, closeout deal, but paid a premium for the one w/ gut hook, as seller knew it was a done deal. I got both for around $50.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing personal toward you Guss, but I don't care for any of the knives you posted pics of. I will show you in a bit what it is that I use. I probably don't do as many deer a year as Alex, but I do maybe 50 a year and it pays to have good tools.

Awshucks, I have what you call "The Sharp Finger" in my fishing tackle box. It was one of the 1st I used for skinning and is a beautiful knife. Since then, I have incorporated many other knives into my arsenal of tools. I will have to take a few pics and get them posted later.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, Schrade went out of business a few months after celebrating their 100th anniversary in '04. Privately owned company so there's no public record of why they closed up but some sources said that 9/11 and the resulting stricter attitude towards pocket knifes killed sales. I have an Old Timer 8OT pocket knife that I use all the time at work and around the house and I thought I lost it last month (kids had put it in wife's shoe) and was looking online for another one and was reading up on the closing. You can still find some on ebay. My dad uses the "Sharp Finger" and it does well and takes an edge easily.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta little tip for you Sharp finger guys. If you look close at the edge, it isn't sharpened all the way back. I took a dremel w/ cut off wheel and made a small "v" notch right in front of the round deal towards the back of the blade. This allows you to sharpen it all the way back to the notch. I've been thru 3-4 deer w/ mine and never touched the blade, really hard steel.