HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   My shooting sucks! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/146830-my-shooting-sucks.html)

Jakes Cronje 07-03-2006 02:52 PM

My shooting sucks!

Don't know what happened, but my shooting went to hell in a handcart about a week and a half ago.

Just working through the mistakes at the moment, hopefully I'll end up shooting better than before the bump.

Any of you ever had this happen?

JimPic 07-03-2006 03:03 PM

RE: My shooting sucks!

I think we all have a bad day shooting every now and then.You just have to figure out what you're doing differant now than what you were doing before when you were shooting good.If it's not a form issue,maybe the brace hgt. slipped a bit.

hardcorehunter 07-03-2006 04:07 PM

I shoot the best after a couple of beers.HCH

LBR 07-03-2006 10:52 PM

A few things that might help.....

Double check everything--brace height, glove/tab, nock point, etc. Possibly something is out of tune.

If you determine that it's actually you that's out of tune, do some form practice--CLOSE! Don't worry about accuracy--fully concentrate on form. Consistent grip, draw, anchor, release, follow-through. Stay close so you aren't having to worry about a missed target/lost arrow/punctured neighbor/etc. Finally, RELAX! I generally shoot my best when I'm most relaxed, and shoot my worst when I try to over-evaluate at the target. That's what form practice is for. Step up and LET it happen, don't try to MAKE it happen.

I don't think anyone that's spent any time behind a bow hasn't gone through a slump. Mine generally don't last more than a day or so anymore, but I did go through one that lasted about 6 months, accompanied with a (mild) case of target panic several years ago. If you are having a prolonged slump, it might help to put the bow down for a few days. Hard to do, but maybe your body and mind need a break.

Hang in there Jakes--you'll get it back.

Chad

BobCo19-65 07-04-2006 05:28 AM

Yea, hang in there, it'll pass. Besides the advice given try to have yourself filmed or have someone watch you. Sometimes that helps. Just wondering if you where you are shooting, high/low left/right, or are they all over the place?

Nawanda 07-05-2006 09:51 PM

In my experience, more archers, (including myself) tend to shoot a heavier draw weight than is necessary. I loved the power of drawing a 60# and higher bow, but....looking back, I would have probably shot better and more relaxed with about a 50# draw weight and lighter arrows. I don't know if that helps at all, but...watching a Byron Ferguson video is always an inspiration.I think John Schulz video, "HItting'em Like Howard Hill" is the best instruction around. Hope you stay relaxed and shoot better soon.

JMonsterZUMBO 07-21-2006 04:01 PM

exercising tooo much can really throw off your aim and muscle stability.

ease off the machines

Wonder Boy 07-21-2006 05:27 PM

Does It.

JMonsterZUMBO 08-04-2006 05:55 PM

easy does it ?

wonder?