Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Wowed by Woodies

Old 06-15-2006, 05:34 AM

Default Wowed by Woodies

For the sake of conversation...

I just got my first dozen wood arrows, and I couldnt be happier. Theyre POC, 28", White Dip Crest with Yellow hen, Blue cock, and a pretty blue nock...and the best part...all tipped with Zwickey Black Diamonds! My grandfather gave them to me (I already have his Zipper T/D) last week and told me I could only hunt his farm if I was shooting those arrows...Sounded like one heck of a deal to me!

So, who else here shoots woodies? Love em or hate em?

PS- If youre thinking about going to wood, dont, you'll like them too much...

Old 06-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wowed by Woodies

There's just something about shooting wood arrows.... Mow bows are quieter. Any bows that I've ever thought were harsh to shoot were all smoothed out by using wood. They're just a joy to use. I love 'em.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:05 AM

They definitely are fun to shoot!! I've got some 32" POC that I just bought recently... I haven't had much time to shoot them, but plan on using them for 3-D's that require a wood arrow...
Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

They're just too purdy to shoot. I'm always afraid of missing the target with one.

Actually, I have a trade going on right now for a dozen.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:49 AM

I just made up some Hex Pine and like them allot, think I will shoot these for awhile. beenlooking for something stronger than POC or Spruce and not weigh a ton, I think these are it.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 PM

I make a lot of wood arrows from shafts up .......... but I can't seem to shake the qualities that carbon arrows bring to the table when itcomes hunting season
Old 06-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps an ignorant question, but do you have to worry about weight with word arrows, as far as consistency in weights go? Do they vary alot between arrows?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Whitehair

I just got my first dozen wood arrows, and I couldnt be happier. Theyre POC, 28", White Dip Crest with Yellow hen, Blue cock, and a pretty blue nock...and the best part...all tipped with Zwickey Black Diamonds! My grandfather gave them to me (I already have his Zipper T/D) last week and told me I could only hunt his farm if I was shooting those arrows...Sounded like one heck of a deal to me!

So, who else here shoots woodies? Love em or hate em?

PS- If youre thinking about going to wood, dont, you'll like them too much...

I was almost skeered to open this thread , and after reading this I'm still wondering ...

I've never tried wooden arrows , but I may get some in the future to try out .
Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Me feel like real Indian when I shoot them Sticks
Old 06-15-2006, 11:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I started shooting wood arrows to be legal in the longbow class at tournaments. Although these days many have started allowing carbons and aluminum in the longbow class, I will stick with the wood arrows (as long as I can afford to anyhow). In my opinion, you can't beat a quality wood arrow. Quiet, forgiving, doesn't have to be within 3/1,000th's of an inch tolerance for being straight, I don't have to add weights or tubes or any of that mess, my point's don't get loose or rattle, and if I take the time (or can con my buddy into it) they are beautiful to boot. They can be shot as accurately as any other arrow--Ben Pearson, Howard Hill, the Wilheim (sp?) brothers, etc. proved this--and I don't have any problems with penetration (don't much matter to me how far my arrow buries into the dirt/tree behind the critter I just shot).

As with most everything else, they do have a down side. You can't just walk into any shop and pick up a dozen XX78 POC's, and depending on where you get them the quality can vary. Raw shafts take some work and knowledge to make them into good arrows, and pre-made wood arrows are expensive.

Still, there is something that just feels right about shooting wood arrows from a longbow. One of those "if I have to explain it, you won't understand" things.

Chad

Quick Reply: Wowed by Woodies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.