Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

CUSTOM BOWS

Old 05-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Default RE: CUSTOM BOWS

Well the opinions out there are more or less the same, ad its good advise. I will have to talk to several bowyers before I choose one (the thing is I live in Monterrey, Mexico and don’t have one near...) so thanks to all and any other comment is appreciated...
Old 05-18-2006, 07:09 PM

I guess I'm a sucker [8D] Those sucker bows sure do shoot well though!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:14 PM

I will agree with the others on some points.. A lot of what you pay for is name brand and reputation.... Same concept as shopping at the mall for clothes vs buying them at Walmart, etc.... They will both get the job done, but the more expensive brand typically looks and feels better..... Also makes the purchaser look and feel better

Another thing that drives cost is demand.... Some bowyers aren't in this thing to get rich and they take their time.... They are not interested in working their butt's off year round... And that's fine too.... O.L. Adcock told me that he only makes 30 bows or so a year.... Think about that!! 30 bows.... There are hundreds or thousands of people that are wanting his bows..... He charges a premium and he deserves it IMO.....

Just like anything custom made, the guys with the best reputation usually charge the highest price....

Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's like most everything else you buy--sometimes you get more when you pay more, sometimes you don't. I think O.L. is pretty slick--keep a high demand by keeping production low. He obviously isn't in it because he needs the money, so he can do that. 'Course he makes a good bow too--that sure doesn't hurt.

They will both get the job done, but the more expensive brand typically looks and feels better..... Also makes the purchaser look and feel better
Have you looked at what's "in style" lately????????? Man alive--might make some of those kids feel better, but look better????[:'(]

One other thing about this sport--it's very mental. If you think you have a better bow, you will shoot it better. I've shot with folks that can shoot one or the other better simply due to the name on the bow. I'm convinced that I could string up a green hickory sapling with baling twine and they could shoot it great, IF I could convince them that it was a particular brand. On the other hand, I bet I could take one of the top-of-line bows of their choice, but if I could convince them that it was a "cheap" or "no-name" bow, they'd have trouble hitting a barn from the inside.

One of the best shots I know is a local guy. His favorite was an old Bear "Black Bear", made in the late 60's or early 70's--think he paid $25 for it. Probably the ugliest bow I've ever seen--blonde riser (maple, I think) with light green glass on the limbs. People would look at that bow and laugh at him--until they tried to shoot against him. I've seen him out-shoot a factory sponsered compound shooter with it. I've seen him take 1st shooting against guys that were toting $1,000 bows. Maybe they looked better walking around, but that ugly old Bear got all the attention when it counted. My point is it's the nut behind the bow that makes the difference.

Reputation will sell a lot of bows too, and for the life of me I can't understand how some guys get theirs. One bow in particular stands out to me--the most basic model was $800 (and went to at least $1,500). I was just drooling to get my hands on one of these bows and shoot it--I'd read all sorts of simply amazing reviews, and was thinking that this bow just HAD to be something special--it was in demand, even at the price it was selling for. A few years ago I finally got a chance to shoot one--man, what a dissapointment. That just reinforced what I already knew--there ain't no magic bows.

Anyhow, to get back to the subject, a lot of this stuff is trial and error. You might find that the absolute best bow for you is one of the more expensive ones--nothing wrong with that. BUT, don't pass up others just because they don't cost a bundle--you might be like my friend and find THE bow for you at a real bargain.

Chad
Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I almost forgot--there is an archery shop in Monterrey that handles some traditional bows. I can't remember the name of it, but I know the owner has delt with some Chek-Mate bows, and I believe a few others. Hopefully you can track it down.

Chad
Old 05-19-2006, 05:58 AM

Good advice Chad.... And I totally agree... It is almost 100% mental..... Get a bow that makes you feel proud and/or happy to own it!! Being content with what you have and really learning that bow can go a long ways to improving your shooting IMO.....

As for what is "in style" these days, I couldn't tell you I live in my own little traditional bow world and haven't been in a mall in at least 2yrs.... But if I had to guess, if would be rattered and tattered for the guys and for the girls it would be boobs and butt hanging out!! Kind of scary thinking I've got 2 boys to bring up in this generation!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:22 AM

you are correct that rudder bows are all wood. No glass used. So that does cut down on cost. I just cant see spending $500-$1000 for a "brand".
Old 05-19-2006, 02:08 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

DC, just walk around Wal-Mart--it's pitiful. I was in one today, and ran into a friend of mine. While we stood there talking, I noticed we were in the ladies "undergarment" section (right beside sporting goods--go figure). Anyhow, the rack right beside us had spangly, see-through thong underwear that, judging by the size, were not meant for grown women. I worry about raising my son in this, but I am SOOOOOOO thankful I don't have a little girl to raise. My best friend has a daughter, 14 years old, that is an absolute doll--and it's driving him nuts. Good thing is softball is her main concern (she'll get a scholarship easy if she keeps playing) and she killed her first deer when she was 11 or 12--and still hunts.

Slugman, I looked up the Rudder site, and they do offer some glass-backed bows, but they still don't have the material costs or wear-and-tear on machinery that laminated bows with phenolic or micarta have.A bit less time involved ingluing up 2-3 laminations vs.the number used in most laminated bows also. I'd bet that whoever builds those bows has the right equipment, and knows what they are doing too, so they don't have a lot of time spent building each one.

Looking at long-term, if you pay even $1,000 for a bow (and keep it), it's a good investment. Properly cared for, it will last years and years (one thing you generally can't say about wood bows--wood will loose weight, take a set, loose performance, and often either hinge or break eventually). Down side is it's still $1,000 that you have to come up with up front, not knowing for sure if it is going to be THE bow for you.

I don't envy those folks that have a $10,000 worth of bows on the wall (well, maybe I do just a little)--I'm proud for them. I'm REALLY happyfor those of us that aren't as financially endowed to know there's still some great bows out there that don't cost as much, and will win a tournament or kill a critter just as well as any.

Chad