Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Really need help with Longbow arrows!! >

Really need help with Longbow arrows!!

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Really need help with Longbow arrows!!

Old 05-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Really need help with Longbow arrows!!

Alright this is probally gonna sound like a stupid question but I barely know a thing about trad. archery

I have a AIM internature longbow (50#)and I before I go buy arrows I want to know if I can use aluminum arrows as long as they have feathers and not vanes or do I have to use Wooden arrows? any comments app. Thanks guys
Old 05-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Really need help with Longbow arrows!!

You can use wood,carbon or aluminum.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

thanks Is there a certain spine I should buy or should I just get them in my poundage range?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Do you have a Dremel tool ?

If so, buy 3 carbons - get a 50-60 pound shaft, start with a full length bare shaft. Shoot it with out feathers and if it flies nock right, its too stiff and you'll need to add weight to the tip to lighten the spine. It its nock left, start cutting by 1/2" or 1" lengths until you hit a length where the shafts fly really nicely - then fletch and you'll have your shafts.

Same above applie sof raluminum (get a small pipe cutter ) or wood shaft (you need taper tools)
Old 05-13-2006, 05:59 PM

Check out Eastons website, they should have a spine chart to tell you what size arrow to get depending on Draw weight, Draw length and point weight.

Good Luck
Old 05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The Easton chart will generally give you a spine that's too stiff. www.arrowsbykelly.com has a better chart, but even it will only get you in the ballpark due to difference in bow performance, strings, release, etc. www.bowmaker.com has some good tuning advice.

Chad
Old 05-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.bowmaker.com/

Check the link - I get a dead end.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot the same lb and use 28 inch 2117's with 5 inch feathers and they shoot like darts and are the cheapest way to go. My bud shoots a full length 30 inch vapor arrow and does the same. If you use carbon you just about gotta use a 30 inch arrow to have the spine right. I shoot 100 grain points and my bud shoots 125's.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:48 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Sorry about that--here is the correct link.

http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
Old 05-14-2006, 01:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: grizzly190

Alright this is probally gonna sound like a stupid question but I barely know a thing about trad. archery

I have a AIM internature longbow (50#)and I before I go buy arrows I want to know if I can use aluminum arrows as long as they have feathers and not vanes or do I have to use Wooden arrows? any comments app. Thanks guys
I am fairly new and have a very simular bow. You can use what you want, but need feathers. I have both alum and cedar. I decided on 2016 arrows. I wished I picked 2018's due to I would like more wieght. My 2016 30" are only 485gr.

I think I would have less shock with >530gr arrow.

Quick Reply: Really need help with Longbow arrows!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.