Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Hand Straighening Port Cedars >

Hand Straighening Port Cedars

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hand Straighening Port Cedars

Old 05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
bigcountry

Default Hand Straighening Port Cedars

I hand straightened a doz of port cedar arrows from 3 Rivers tonight. Seemed too easy. Makes me think I will have to straighten after every range sesson. Should they stay straight after a few straightenings?

Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hand Straighening Port Cedars

If you get them sealed, they should stay straight for the most part. Check them once in a while--sometimes they get bent pulling out of a target or if they aren't stored flat. Easy to do when you get the hang of it.

Chad
Old 05-10-2006, 07:44 AM
bigcountry

Chad, I have been storing them in the box with the foam around them, you know like they come new. But standing vertical. How do you guys store em?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Inside a PVC tube and I wind rubber bands around them in a bunch.

It is best to dip them instead of just spraying them with sealer or polyurethane as dipping them gives a thicker coating that helps keep them straight.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The ones I'm not using (finished arrows) are stored in cardboard display boxes (a hole for each arrow) that I got from an archery shop that closed. Arrows that are in use just sit in my quiver, however it happens to land. Unfinished shafts are rubber-banded and stand upright (probably not the best way to store them) in a box.

I use an epoxy recipie to seal them--wipe on several coats. It's the best arrow finish I've ever used--I reckon it's a variation of Jay Massey's epoxy bow finish--real tough. Spray-on finishes always stuck in the targets like glue, and I gave up on gasket laquer a few years ago--just not durable enough for me (goes on quick and easy though).

Chad
Old 05-11-2006, 08:41 PM

I can't remember ever having to straighten a cedar after they were sealed. I dip mine in polyurethane and apply 4 or 5 coats. I store them standing upright in my quiver, and the ones I'm not using are stored in the foam dividers and laid flat. Hope this helps.