Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hangin' It Up

Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hangin' It Up

After much soul searching, I've concluded that it's time for me to get away from bows-n-arrows. It's gotten to the point that shooting arrows is causing me more pain than enjoyment. Archery and arthritis aren't a very good mix.

But I've decided not to get away from archery altogether, just gonna switch gears.Compounds are out of the question. In fact, I truly believe that shooting several mechano-bows with the newer, hard pulling, high let-offcam styles a few years ago helped finish off my shoulders.

Instead, I'm going ahead with my plans for making a working replica midieval crossbow. I've been an archer for more than 50 years. Wonder if I can make another 50 as an arbalatier...
Old 04-15-2006, 07:55 AM

Default RE: Hangin' It Up

Dang Arthur, I hate to hear that....... I'm glad you can keep that fire burning with the xbow though..... Post some pics when you get it built!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

You know, I have been watching other forums and notice guys worrying about cracking and poping in the shoulders. I guess when you like my age of 35 or so, you never ever consider that one day you won't be able to do it.

Hate to hear that Arthur. Good luck with the x-bow.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm sorry you were forced to give up something that you so obviously love , a friend of mine is near the same point and facingthe samechoice . He was resistant to the idea of going to a xbow at first, but then he asked to borrow one of mine and concluded the same as you have . For now he's still shooting his bows and hunting while he can , and when he gets where you are he says he'll make the same choice . Enjoy your new path and keep on hunting .
Old 04-15-2006, 09:39 AM

Well at least ya gave er a run. Get that X built and get back at it.

Hopeya still hang around here.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:13 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Really sorry to hear that Art--I hope you will still hang around and keep us straight!

Chad
Old 04-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Art.

I too am sorry to hear you can no longer enjoy the sport you love so much.

But hopefully you will get the x-bow done and enjoy that as much as the trad gear.

You could always set up shop and make some trad bows I know I for one would be proud to own a Arthur P bow
Old 04-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear it Arthur, I know you've been battling this for quite some time & have given it one hellova go.I suppose it's bound to happen to all of us [archers] who arefortunateenough to reach that time of maturity.

It sounds like you have a good plan,so get that x-bow built & get back in the game dude! And I hope you keep visting here regularly to share your experience & wisdom. IMO this forum would be a lesser place without your input.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Arthur,

Best of luck to you !
I have dropped the draw weight of my compounds to save my shoulders for future shooting.
Go build a Crossbow; nothing wrong with them, imo.
They're just as traditional as anything else, having been around for several thousand years.
I'm thinking about having Robin Allen build me a custom hunting Crossbow in the future if I can afford it.
His bows are beautiful and rival my custom recurves in craftsmanship.
Some of his options are similar to those ofa custom Longbow or Recurve Bowyer.

Sag.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:22 PM

Get one of those 6-7 megapixel digital Cameras and go hunting with that.

Quick Reply: Hangin' It Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.