Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Is Black Widow Woth The Price ???? >

Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

Old 04-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Spike

Default Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

I have wanted a Black Widow recurve for quite a few years and was just wondering if they are worth the money. I was planning on test driving one of their bows when i get back from Aghanistan next month. Just wondering what others thought about them. I appretiate your opinions.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

gregory,

Thanks for your work in Aghanistan, it is much appreciated.

Just wondering if this is your first bow. If so, I'd probably point you in a different direction.

If not, then the price is really a relative thing. If you can afford, it I'd say go for it. It is a great bow. Reward yourself. If it is out of your reach, then I'm sure you could find something that is also is quality made for a lot less.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:04 AM

I've had a Black Widow longbow and it was top quality.. Made very well and shot as smooth and fast as any of the other big name bows that I've owned.... I just didn't like the handle on the longbow, so I am selling it. I'm sure the recurve will be awesome..... They have a huge following and their resale value is outstanding....

And like BobCo said, we appreciate what you do for the country so that we can sit around and talk about trad archery!!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Spike

it's not my first traditional bow. i have a long bow and another recurve as well as one of those bows with the training wheels on it. the money is not an issue. was just wondering what others thought about them. i like their test drive program that way i get to choose what i want and fits.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Widow recurves-a 56" SA III & a 60" MA II. For me,they're the best recurves I ever shot.They're not the fastest-but they're not slouches either,not the prettiest(not my opinion-I think they're gorgeous bows),they're as dead in the hand as a bow can be,shoot right where I'm looking,have excellant resalevalue and their customer service is top-notch.I think they're worth every penny--and to be fair,their prices are comparable to Robertson,Blacktail,Morrison and alot of other top bowyers to name a few.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Only you can answer that question.

From one standpoint you could say "no", because they don't cost any more to produce than most any other quality bow, and should be a bit less with the labor saved by the CNC. They aren't head and shoulders above any other good bow--going strictly "by the books" (leaveing personal preferances out of it), they are very average among today's bows.

On the other hand, if it fits you and you shoot it like no other, and it won't cause you financial troubles, then it's worth every penny and then some.

My personal opinion is no, they aren't worth it to me. I've had a couple, and shot lots more. I don't own one anymore, and won't unless I just find a deal I can't refuse, and then I'd just trade it or sell it. BUT, that's just my opinion. I've shot several that some folks raved about that just didn't impress me in the least.

Resale is good, but in my experience no better than most any other bow. Sure, you can sell a used one for $500-$600, but percentage-wise it's no better than selling a $400 bow for $200-$250.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

Chad
Old 04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

You better believe they're worth it, & then some.BW recurves are a benchmark of the industry, & for good reason; they're the absolute finest American made (wooden handled) hunting bow available. And they have been since 1957.

...Just do a test drive & give one or two models a real "wringing out", I think you'll agree w/most everyone else who has shot em.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 PM

ya
ive got 2 now; my ma2 was a birthday present to me in 2000; its great and the service is also very good; the ma is very sooth;no stacking aor handshock;id say call them and they will help you get set up with the right bow for you
Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 PM

ya
i own 2 an ma2 made in 2000 and a psr made in 05; the bows are great to shoot and the service is first rate; i m taking my ma to africa to hunt plains game and going to the widow shooting clinic in may to meet fred asbell and to fine tune my equipment and shooting form prior to my africa trip in august; it may seem like a lot of money now but after shooting several different types of bows at my traditional archery league and dealing with the folks in nixa i d say they are definetely worth the investment;and the test drive is a great idea to get the feel for the perfect widow for you;call them and talk to them before ordering ; i m sure you will find them very helpful in getting you set up
Old 04-04-2006, 08:37 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've got my asbestos drawers on, so I'll take it a step further and clarify, but first I'll say again--only you can decide if it's worth it to you, and you will have to be honest with yourself.

I stand by my statement that they are, among the better built bows today, very average. This is leaving my personal opinions out of it. Compare the speed, draw force curve, warranty,etc. to other good bows and you will see what I mean. Search around for some tournament scores, and see what kind of bows the winners shot.

There's lots of GREAT bows on the market these days. Do yourself a favor--don't get in a hurry, don't get hung up on a name or a price range,and shoot as many different ones as you can. Places like Denton Hill and Cloverdale are great for checking out lots of different bows in one spot.

I don't know for a fact, but I read recently that BW puts out less than 1,000 bows a year. That leaves awhole lot of room for "most everyone else". I know alot of traditional archers, from beginners to some of the top-ranked IBO shootersalong withsome excellent hunting archers.Most of them have shot and/or owned a BW at one time or another. Most of them don't shoot one now--I can only think of maybe 4 off the top of my head. Not because they aren't a very well built bow, there issimply no one bow that is "best" for everyone. Depends on who you ask obviously.

And again, if you pick one up and it fits you/shoots for you like no other, it's worth the money. Heck, it may be worth it to you just because you have wanted one for so long.

Good luck, and hope you have a safe trip.

Chad

Quick Reply: Is Black Widow Woth The Price ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.