Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I am about ready to quit >

I am about ready to quit

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I am about ready to quit

Old 03-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default I am about ready to quit

I can't find the right arrow or form or both. I keep getting a knock left everytime. I shoot a 51# recurve. I have tried different carbons, CX 4560s, Easton axis 400s, 100 gr tips, 125 grn tips. And no matter what, at 15 yards I get knock left groups.
Should I just go to aluminum? I don't want to shoot wood.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I am about ready to quit

i dont know about the technical kinda stuff, but dont quite keep trying!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:04 PM

You get knock left indication even with feathers?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't quit, it can be fixed. It is either form, or a tuning issue;

From Kelly's site:

D. If, back end of arrow kicks left horizontally, (Opposite is true for left handed shooter.) shortly after leaving bow, but then later corrects itself and flies straight there could be one of two problems. First off, re-check your brace height to see if it has decreased. If so, increase it until this characteristic disappears. Second, there could be a fletch contact problem with shelf and/or rest material. Observation of shelf material usually will indicate a contact/wear point if this is the problem. Remove, shorten or separate the shelf material until this characteristic disappears.

I wish I could help more with Carbon's, but I don't know much about them. But you may want to check out Kelly's charts, which I have found to be about the best for traditional and cross reference the spine (arrow deflections) from an aluminum to a carbon:

http://www.arrowsbykelly.com/Spine_Charts.html
Old 03-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Double Creek,
Yes, with feathers at fifteen yards. I understand the archers paradox, that the arrow needs to flex a little and oscillate early in flight. So I dropped down tip weight to 100 and cut my arrows as short as I could get them, thinking that they were underspined and needed to stiffen up, but it hasn't helped.
At 5 yards they are knock right, which I would expect. At twelve yards, they are the most extreme knock left, then at 15 they are knock left but not as much. But this to me is unacceptable, it is to much occillation. 15 yards is a kill range, and I can't have my KE being taken up by all this side to side movement. And I can't fix it!!!!!
I put my brace height back 7.5 inches, where the bowyer said it was supposed to be. Can I put a couple more twists in my string to increase it to try and fix it?
I have tried canting, straight up, deep fingers, shallow fingers. I don't know what else to do.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

bobco, thanks for the link.

He takes a different approach than what I have been hearing lately. He is taking the Howard Hill approach. The heck with bareshafting? put a broadhead on and find the shaft and tune that works.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

MTdrahthaar, what is your draw length? A Beman 400/100 gr head is what I shoot out of my mid-50# @ 30" hi performance recurves w/very good results. Sorry friend, but I've got a feeling that you were overspined from the start & all the adjustments you've made so far have been in the wrong direction.[:@]Do you have a full length arrow left to try? How about some VERY heavy points? I'm betting that a 500 series shaft will work better for you...

Stay after it. I know you'll get this worked out, & when you do you'll have gained knowledge, asense of accomplishment, & great new confidence in your set-up.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 28.5 inch drawlength.

So you think I am overspined as it is and need more "flex" around my riser?

I have never been this frustrated with this.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

So you think I am overspined as it is and need more "flex" around my riser?
Yep. That's my guess.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

BTW,I'm currently shootingBeman ICS 400's w/100 gr pointout a55# @ 30", drawn to about 31". They fly great, butmay be a touch on the "stiff" side even w/my longish draw.

I know nothing about the CX shafts, but I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that you're overspined...& I'm sure of it w/those 400's & your point weight.

Quick Reply: I am about ready to quit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.