HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   don't laugh stupid question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/136389-dont-laugh-stupid-question.html)

bigcountry 03-14-2006 08:37 AM

don't laugh stupid question

on cedar arrows or wood, how do you install a tip? I suppose no insert, and would reason the arrow end is tapered? Am I right?

Reason I ask, is when I get my longbow, I just want to stay with traditional. So I was figuring I could just get 32" port cedar arrows and start cutting as I need a stiffer spine or not. And to find the spine bareshaft. Do they make a tool to taper the end? So I could cut and taper and reglue my tips?

bigcountry 03-14-2006 08:52 AM

RE: don't laugh stupid question

Never mind, I figured it out on the magnus page. Do you guys use a bowsaw to cut?

Alex The Hawk 03-14-2006 10:11 AM

Yes I use a bow saw and taperd both end, there is tapering tool that runs around $6 to 7 bucks , it looks like a pencil sharpner and works great ,if you don't want to spend a lot of money to start with, that would do the job on 11/32 shafts.

Double Creek 03-14-2006 10:23 AM

If you will be tapering lots of arrows, hook those babies up to an electric drill and use the shaft like a drill bit..... A few spins and you're done......

bigcountry 03-14-2006 10:58 AM

so does it sound logical to keep your arrows long and cut down as you need more spine?

Shootstuff4570 03-14-2006 01:25 PM

HAHAHA jk i had to laugh since you said dont laugh

Double Creek 03-14-2006 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

so does it sound logical to keep your arrows long and cut down as you need more spine?
That would depend on your draw length and draw weight.... Just be sure to have already calculated about what spine you "think" you will need at a given draw.... Then leaving a few incheslong won't hurt you..... You must keep in mind thata longer shaft will act weaker and a shorter shaft will act stiffer.....

For instance... Wood spines are measured at 26 inches...... So, a spine of 45 would act weaker at a length of 30 inches.... And act stiffer at less than 26...... I shoot 28 inch arrows, so when making my shafts I usually use a spine that is 5lbs heavier than I will need. That way, the extra two inches will offset the heavier spine....

Now, that's the way I understand spine and it seems to work for me.... Some of these other guys have years or decades more experience than me. Hopefully they will tune in and add some pointers......

arrowsmit 03-14-2006 06:55 PM

True, wooden arrows are mostly spine tested on 26" centers, but that deflection reading usually correlates to adraw weight at 28". Several attributes of the bow & archer are needed to make a reasonably close guess-timation of correct shaft deflection, or arrow 'spine'....