HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   More Doc Ashby updates (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/135937-more-doc-ashby-updates.html)

Rangeball 03-10-2006 07:52 AM

More Doc Ashby updates

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=24&t=000003 #000000

Real good reading. Part one is more broadhead penetration testing with different tip styles, part 2 looks at increased penetration potential with very high FOC. A very eye opening read.

Granted, Doc is looking at maximizing penetration on 2000# water buffalos, but his findings can be put into practice by anybody on anything, especially those near the lighter side of the spectrum looking to maximize penetration potential.

It makes me grin thinking how the compound guys would react if they found out using those super light speed pro arrows with a big heavy head on front would give better performance :)

Arthur P 03-10-2006 08:09 AM

RE: More Doc Ashby updates

It makes me grin thinking how the compound guys would react if they found out using those super light speed pro arrows with a big heavy head on front would give better performance :)
I've tried to tell 'em, many times, but they're convinced the heavy head will make their arrows fly nose downuntil theyprematurely runout of steam andfall out of the sky. :eek:One of those deals where facts are blown out of the water by popular myth. And you have to be very careful about how you deal with their mythology!Talk about religious fervor![:-]

[8D]

But then, I've never had anything more to go on than just my gut feeling. It's nice to see research telling me I was right all along. :)

I wish Dr Ashby would put these reports on his own website. I've learned from bitter experience that the compound guys immediately disbelieve anything they see coming from a traditional site. Just makes me shake my head in pity...

Rangeball 03-10-2006 08:17 AM

Arthur, I wonder what they'd think if they found out that the flight guys are using as much FOC as they can get, and all the records OL Adcock set last year (well, his bows anyway, some shot by him) were with heavier FOC than the competitors.

They sure didn't drop like rocks :)

Propose a test. Two same weighted arrows, one with 20%+ foc and the other the accepted "normal" 10-12% foc. Tune the bow for each so great flight is acheived then shoot them at varying distances and record drop.

Bet they'd be suprised :D

Arthur P 03-10-2006 08:53 AM

Yeah, definitely. They'd be suprized if they did several basic tests, like that one you proposeand likeseeing what their long range trajectory would be like with an arrow that's 30% heavier than what they normally use. But they think they already know everything, so they won't do it. :eek:

edit.... I'm not being critical of our wheelie bow brethren. It's just that I've played these games with them before and this is the cynicism that results from long experience. [8D]

Rangeball 03-10-2006 09:16 AM

Well, it wasn't all for naught.

I paid attention when you were on your soap box, and look where it got me... :)

BobCo19-65 03-10-2006 09:37 AM

The right way is not always the most popular way.

Longbow Bowhunter 03-11-2006 07:18 AM

Dang, maybe I should change my short aluminum adapter to the long one or the 100 grain adapter. My FOC is 14.1% in the high catagory.

Tuffcity 03-12-2006 12:51 PM

"But what about my KE number?!!" They will cry, with wringing hands and frightened looks. "Surelygreaterpoint weight will impact my holy grailstandardon which I base my purchase ofthe next light and fast arrow/bow combo." [:o]

KE

OK, maybe I'm being just a tad facetious.:D

Ashby's reports are interesting , especially if you take the time to wade through the math.

RC

arrowsmit 03-12-2006 06:11 PM

Lots of folks (myself included) believe that KE is more useful for selling bows that for predicting penetration potential.:D