Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 building recurve, need advice >

building recurve, need advice

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

building recurve, need advice

Old 03-01-2006, 11:24 AM

Default building recurve, need advice

I've decided to build a take down recurve bow as a high school woods project. MY teacher gave me a bunch of info and a company to buy the materials from. I'm planning on buying the materials from Bingham archery products. I've decided to go with the take down because it's easier, and cheaper. Has anyone tried building a bow with this kit. It seems easy, just build a jig, glue to parts together, shape the brace. THe only part that really scares me is the tuning. Is it hard to get rid of limb twist etc.. Anything i should look for, or tricks to make things easier. I plan to hunt with this bow if it turn out ok and throws an arrow well. i draw 60 pounds on an old compound with 20 percent let off so i was thinking about a 55 pound kit. any info will help.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:41 PM

Default RE: building recurve, need advice

I have never built a takedown, usually all the bows I make are of a single wood stave or flat woods.

But I think as long as you follow their directions on the Kit, you won't have any problems..

Now I wouldn' attempt to build one as you say from scratch from two pieces of woods, I think the kit would be a good experience before you start to build your own,

Good luck and give us pics as you build it and when you finish it.
Alex
Amazon Bows.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just making the form and hot box are pretty good wood projects in themselves.

I haven't made a recurve yet, though I want to. I'm sure most of the stuff you'll need to know isprobably covered in the instructions that come with the kit.

The best tip I can give you is get the bowmaking video for recurves from Bingham and watch it intently at least five times before you do anything else.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:42 PM

i just completed my first recurve from bingham projects a few weeks ago but it broke since i didnt clamp it tight enough. remember to put masking tape on the shiny side of the fiberglass strips before you epoxy it since epoxy is a pain to sand off. i would strongly reccommend going to this forum and askingquestions if you have any. they are good people and are devoted to traditional archery and bowbuilding. Good luck
www.bowsite.com/bowsite/tf/lw/THREADSX2.CFM

Old 03-03-2006, 01:26 PM

What didn't you clamp tight enough that caused it to break. I think it should be relatively easy to make the bow. I'm just worried that it will break and be a total waste of money. i don't think you can not clamp it tight enough because of the hose that puts pressure on it. They say 60 pounds of pressure will do. Did you short cut or something. Was it a lack of epoxy that causedit to break.
Does anybody know of anyone that has had good luck with these bow kits. Good luck as uses it for more than one year without it breaking and getting decent accuracy, and speed.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:03 PM

i used c clamps, stretch clamps and spring clamps. you dont really need to use the air hose but im sure it is easier. where it wasnt clamped tight enough, epoxy filled a 1/16" gap between the laminations and created a weak spot. that is where it broke.