HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   MY BEST GROUP!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/133145-my-best-group.html)

Shootstuff4570 02-15-2006 05:03 PM

MY BEST GROUP!!

i shot the longbow that alex gave me for the first time tonight. my parents finally let me shoot in the basement and i had some old arrows for a couple years ago that were the right length for it. i shot 4 arrows about 5 times and this was the best group i got....

Shootstuff4570 02-15-2006 05:27 PM

RE: MY BEST GROUP!!

oh i forgot to say, that the first shot i took i smacked my wrist hard with the string. so i put a arm gaurd on and i kept hitting my wrist. i tried changing the way i held my wrist, but it either felt really uncomfortable, almost like the bow was gonna fall out of my handswhen i shot, or i just smacked my wrist again. can anyone give me tips on how to hold it so its comfortable and i dont hit my wrist?

thanks

Double Creek 02-15-2006 10:04 PM

Nice groups.... You're probably hitting your wrist b/c you're locking your elbow or you have your arm rotated too far inward....... Do a search on this forum for a recent thread about gripping the bow....

RobinHood36 02-16-2006 12:49 AM

It could be a too low of brace height on the bow, you may have to give a couple of twists on the string. I know if i have a low brace on my bow i tend to get wrist slapped at times.

BobCo19-65 02-16-2006 06:30 AM

Nice groups! You must be a natrural.

Remember to rotate your elbow out. Also, like others mentioned, do not lock your elbow. What was the distance of your shots? They're sticking in the target nice and straight.

OHdeerguts 02-16-2006 07:50 AM

That is great. my first group with my longbow I couln't hit the ground if it was not for gravity:D

Alex The Hawk 02-16-2006 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: RobinHood36

It could be a too low of brace height on the bow, you may have to give a couple of twists on the string. I know if i have a low brace on my bow i tend to get wrist slapped at times.
Yes since I gave you the bow I would follow Robinhoods advise, the string I put in there is brand new, so you need to twist it until it becomes about an inch shorter than what it is now, until the brace becomes about 7 inches from the bow to the string, this will also make the bow harder to pull, but the arrows will fly faster, that grouping is what I use to get with that bow at 15 yrds.
Remember that bow is not a toy.:)

Good shooting, Peace.

Shootstuff4570 02-16-2006 01:41 PM

thanks everyone. i shot from pretty close, a little under ten yards maybe. but i was in my basement and it was my first time shooting so i didnt want to shoot from too far away. and i did twist the string like alex told me before but maybe i didnt twist it enough.

BobCo19-65 02-16-2006 01:58 PM

It's a terrificgroup! Congrats!