HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   homeade Flemish strings (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/129981-homeade-flemish-strings.html)

huntingfortails 01-22-2006 06:36 PM

homeade Flemish strings

Hey I am going to take up makeing bow strings also. At leastI hope to andyways. And I was wondering if anyone knew what that differant numbers ment or where you can get some good thread. Thanks for any advice given!

Nick

LBR 01-22-2006 09:25 PM

RE: homeade Flemish strings

Not sure what you mean by "different numbers"? I use BCY for materials--there's a lot of information on their products at www.bcyfibers.com .

Chad

huntingfortails 01-23-2006 05:49 PM

well I was looking at some B-50 string and there was differant types like, #4 and #18 and just a bunch like that. Thanks for the site!

Nick

LBR 01-23-2006 06:44 PM

If the number is something like .018, .019, .021, .024, .025, next to serving material then it's the diameter of the serving. Not sure what some of the numbers specify, if anything.

If you need any help with the stringmaking, just holler.

Chad

huntingfortails 01-23-2006 08:14 PM

Well I'm going to be making a compact flemish string jig. I've found a number of differant sights that tell how to make stringsbut I really can only understand part of it. Maybe it will be clearer once I make the jig but in the mean Time if you or anyone else has Ideas, Advice or simple how tos they are more then welcome here. Thanks for anything you got!!!

Nick

Jakes Cronje 01-24-2006 12:38 AM

Nick,

Chad also has a DVD called "Doin' the twist" that'll teach you all you need to know about making flemish strings- and good strings at that.

Have a look on www.recurves.com

He's too modest!

Jakes

LBR 01-24-2006 10:27 AM

Thanks Jakes:)

Nick, one thing to keep in mind when you build a board--use plans that go by string length, not bow length. The reason being is one type recurve may get a string that's as much as 6" shorter than the bow length (such as the old Herter's recurves), while another may get a string 2.5" shorter (Morrison is one that comes to mind), and pretty much anything in-between. Longbows can be almost as bad--I've seen strings range from 1.5" to 4" shorter on those. AMO specs state that any bow, longbow, recurve, or flatbow, should get a string 3" shorter than the AMO bow length, but not all bows were designed to follow AMO specs, plus different people have different preferances. I learned all of this the hard way.[:@]

Chad

Arthur P 01-25-2006 04:21 PM

...one thing to keep in mind when you build a board--use plans that go by string length, not bow length.
That ain't no lie! I made my jig going by plans that used AMO length and I've made all kinds of strings that didn't fit. I'm making a new jig pretty soon.