Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Speed - longbow or recurve? >

Speed - longbow or recurve?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Speed - longbow or recurve?

Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Speed - longbow or recurve?

Go with the longbow..... They look better[8D]and if you're old and decrepid like Arthur P, you can use it as a walking cane......[8D]
Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 PM

OUCH
Old 01-04-2006, 08:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

If possible, get to some shoots and try out some different bows. See what feels best to you. There's a lot of bows out there that just about fit into either category these days--recurves with longbow risers, longbows with recurve risers, take-down risers that will accept either type limb..........

My personal favorite is a mild to moderate deflex/reflex longbow with a semi-recurve grip.

Chad
Old 01-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go with the longbow..... They look better[8D]
True. And you can also use it as a switchtoinflict pain ondisrespectful youngsters.[>:]
[8D]

Other uses: Fishin' pole, spear, emergency pool cue, alternative TV controller when the batteries give out in the remote, ol' lady harrassment device (goose her as she's walking by your comfy chair, and tell her "bring me a beer andsammitch"),fending offher attack after said harrassment [:-], fishing a fork out from under the kitchen stove... those long, straight limbs make the longbow a very handy thing to have around.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:49 AM

Only evidence I have is from pure shooting both and nothing over a chrony.

For the second question,
I like/love shooting a longbow better. I started traditional out shooting recurves and then shot a longbow and have been shooting one since.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Go with the longbow..... They look better[8D]
True. And you can also use it as a switchtoinflict pain ondisrespectful youngsters.[>:]
[8D]

Other uses: Fishin' pole, spear, emergency pool cue, alternative TV controller when the batteries give out in the remote, ol' lady harrassment device (goose her as she's walking by your comfy chair, and tell her "bring me a beer andsammitch"),fending offher attack after said harrassment [:-], fishing a fork out from under the kitchen stove... those long, straight limbs make the longbow a very handy thing to have around.

LOL, I just about spit my coke on the screen..... Apparantly you don't know MY wife
Old 01-08-2006, 07:19 AM

Look at Saluki Bows , he makes hybrid ( combination of both recurve and longbow) bows . They are really fast ,hardly any noticable stack,and the guy that builds them is an artist that decided he liked making bows. I just got an Ibex from him last year ,and I love it . No hand shock and faster than any traditional bow I've ever shot and very forgiving (just incase I screw up which almost never happens lol) . You can find the site by looking up saluki bow company.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 PM

I've been from longbow to recurve this past season and as of yesterday, officially back shooting my longbow. Both are 70# @ 28 inches my recurve is a bit faster, the longbow however is definately more forgiving. The recurve is 55" long and the longbow 63". I have killed deer with both. Pros and cons to both, but something about the longbow has definately drawn me back. Wouldn't know my own preferance if I hadn't shot both though.

Jim Robator