Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

best suited broadhed?

Old 12-16-2005, 01:47 PM

Default best suited broadhed?

Ok guys i have been trying to decide which broadhead would best suit my needs for deer hunting only.My bow is a54 lb. Gamemaster @ 30 inches shooting 438 grain arrows with 100 grain heads.Here goes:

Ultimate Steel
B-52
Montec
Shuttle T-lock
Landshark
Crimson Croc
Crossfire
Razorcaps
Steelforce Sabertooth
Steelforce Venom

sorry so many choices,also does anyone know what speed this be shooting roughly.thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 04:00 PM

Default RE: best suited broadhed?

I havent heard good things about the Crimson Croc. I remember seeing a thread somewhere showing a pic of a Croc where the main blade had folded over and snapped after hitting a shoulder blade.
The NAP Crossfire has had mixed reviews aswell with the blade cartridge splitting on bone. I have never used either of these heads, so this is just word of mouth and internet...Dont know about the Shuttle-T

All of the others are good heads IMO. I really like the RazorCaps, they are asturdy head, and theyre almost a mirror image of a Snuffer. The B-52's are sweet too, and the Landsharks are a great head.

To add to the confusion, take a look at-
Muzzy Phantoms
Magnus Stingers (Or any Magnus for that matter)

Hope I could help...

Old 12-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Thanks Matt,I was at Bass Pro today and was drooling over those Land Sharks and B-52's they are both bad a$$ looking probably gonna be one of those two.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

newman1, just a guess but you're shootingjust a touch over8gpp @ 30" & most quality high performance recurves (like your Hoyt) will shoot in the hi 180's - low 190's w/that arrow weight/draw length.

Like Whitehair said, don't overlook the Magnus brd-hds.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Magnus al the way and for large game Grizzleys.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 PM

You prolly saw me! I spent over an hour pacing that row of broadheads, and handling every bow the guy behind the counter would let me hold...couldnt shoot any though [:@](Im assuming you mean at Arundel Mills? Im from across the bay in Kent County) I love that place...

Both are sweet heads, good luck with whatever you choose...

Those Simmons look like they could go on a spear...

BTW- Im not qualified to put out a speed number, but I'd say in the neighborhood of 180fps? Somebody back me up here...
Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Matt, I'm pretty sure thatmosthi performance recurveswill shoot an 8 gpp arrow right at 180 fps with a 28" draw, a 30"drawwill adda bit more zip.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

BTW, I'm in no way "qualified" either.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:50 AM

IMO, too many archers get hung up on broadhead looks. I don't know if any of you remember the Hilbre heads of the 60's but there was a vicious looking head that was probably one of the worst performing heads of that time. I like to stick with the "Tried and True" heads. Arrow flight and arrow consistency are more important to me. Dick
Old 12-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a thought, if you end up going with the Simmons, make sure you are up the sharpening them properly.

From what I understand, it's a bit different and they need to be sharpened out of the box.

For simplicity, go with the razor caps or stingers.

Quick Reply: best suited broadhed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.