HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   First time with a recurve in front of a Chronograph! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/119910-first-time-recurve-front-chronograph.html)

Matt / PA 11-06-2005 10:28 AM

First time with a recurve in front of a Chronograph!

[:-]Well that was an eye opener for a 70# compound shooter.:D

I tested all 3 of my bows (I know Chad and Art I was looking for 1, be quiet;))
Arrows: 564gr Beman "Classic" 400's with weight tubes and 140gr tips, 5" r. helical parabolic feathers with crest wraps.
I am drawing to about 29 1/4- 29.5" to front of riser.

Anyway here's what I got through my Pro-Chrono:
(Beaver balls, and one brass nock for tuning)

66' Pearson 709 "Hunter" 50# @28" Brace height= 7 7/8"
180,179,179,181,181 fps

74' Shakespeare "Necedah" 50# @ 28" Brace height = 8 3/4"
177,176,176,176,176 fps

73' Bear "Kodiak Hunter" 50X#(52 actual)Brace height= 7 3/4"
185,184,185,184,186 fps

So it looks like my KE for these bows will range from about 39-42 ft lbs. :D(Not used to seeing numbers under 70 ft lbs)

I am sharpening my Magnus Snuffers (Since when did they become Magnus? My old ones are Rothaars?...in fact my first buck was taken with a 125 Rothaar)
Anyway I'm honing up these 150gr nasty suckers to a really nice edge (They sharpen really easy with a file and then stone)

.......if these broadheads aren't the right choice for those numbers somebody speak up before I start flinging them. They fly terrific out of all 3 bows, and I'm officially deadly to 20 yards. (I'll keep it under that though)

I have off all this week and if I tag a buck, the compound will be hung up for the rest of the season and I'll devote my 2 doe tags to the recurves.:)

arrowsmit 11-06-2005 01:44 PM

RE: First time with a recurve in front of a Chronograph!

Never mind the KE numbers,(Many expertsdon't believe that KE is a good indicator of an arrows penetration potential, but that's another argument[:-]). Rest assured knowing that180 fps w/a 565gr arrow is plenty for anydeer that ever walked. Just get em tuned, then get em sharp, & then put em where they'll do the most good. ;)

Good luck & be sureto keep us posted!

Arthur P 11-06-2005 03:40 PM

I thought the Necedah might do atad better than the Pearson, so I'm atiny bit surpised. But I was right that the better limb design would make up for thehigher brace height. Ialso figuredthe Bear would be the fastest of the three, but I never dreamed it'd be THAT much![:-]

Interesting...

One thing the numbers tell me is you've got a pretty consistent draw length and release. You don't get resultsconsistent within 1-2 fpsotherwise. Consider me suitably impressed.;)

Don't worry about the KE. With what you've got going there, a deer will have a hard time stopping your arrows.

LBR 11-06-2005 06:08 PM

Very impressive draw and release! To me, that's where chronographs are the most useful--I don't worry much about the speed.

Either of those will do the job just fine on a whitetail, even with the big Snuffers (Magnus bought them out a good while back). Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Chad

BobCo19-65 11-07-2005 09:02 AM

I am sharpening my Magnus Snuffers (Since when did they become Magnus? My old ones are Rothaars?...in fact my first buck was taken with a 125 Rothaar)
Anyway I'm honing up these 150gr nasty suckers to a really nice edge (They sharpen really easy with a file and then stone)

.......if these broadheads aren't the right choice for those numbers somebody speak up before I start flinging them. They fly terrific out of all 3 bows, and I'm officially deadly to 20 yards. (I'll keep it under that though)

That combo sounds fine to me. Incredible constancy on your form!

slugman 11-19-2005 09:04 PM

have the same pearson bow, thanks for the info.