HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Does it really make a difference? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/118319-does-really-make-difference.html)

snowman69 10-25-2005 11:08 PM

Does it really make a difference?

Wood, Carbow or Aluminum arrows right now I have carbons but would like to go to wood will I notice any difference? Does it really matter? Info please.

Rich Baker 10-25-2005 11:14 PM

RE: Does it really make a difference?

You know I am wondering the same thing, I am shooting aluminums but I am going to get wood today.

Lilhunter 10-25-2005 11:55 PM

no it doesnt matter what material you pick for your shafts. What does matter is you take the time to properly TUNE these arrows (wood being the hardest to do so obivously) and you take the time to learn the mechanics of the sport. The better you do these two things the better shot you'll become. With flawless form spine is much less criticle then with ho hum sloppy as most of us seem to be.

One thing about wood, there are no charts to go by that are even 75% spot on perfect. You really need to consult someone who knows what he/she is doing with wood to get you even close and then it's up to you to fine tune and tweak your setup to have the best possible shooting machine. As simple as it sounds, it is not and usually takes quite awhile to completely get to the point you are spot on.

Best of luck with it, and enjoy the path it takes you on!

Wingbone 10-31-2005 06:03 PM

Chances are, that properly spined wood arrows would be heavier than aluminum and certainly carbon. You might have to adjust when shooting at longer ranges.

jimmy the foot 11-04-2005 07:33 PM

never shot woodbefore. sounds heavy = more energy so thats a +. always liked the look of wood. use carbon myself. write back and let me know how it works out bro.:)

THE FOOT

Troy F. 11-05-2005 03:52 AM

wood is for the fire.

Arthur P 11-05-2005 05:58 AM

And carbon is what's left over after the fire.[8D]

I like shooting wood arrows, but it takes a heckuva lot of work to put together a truly matched set. I don't put in the effortto do it, even though I know it'd improve my accuracy immensely, but I still like shooting wood arrows.

I like aluminum for their consistency, but they can be noisy if you get a bad release. And they're not easy to find in the local shops around here. They've all gone carbon.

I dislike carbon because they are too light, not even as straight as my cedars, and are inconsistent in weight and spine. In other words, it takes a lot of work - or money - to put together a truly matched set.

Which brings me to fiberglass/carbon composite arrows. The most durable arrow I've ever shot. Nice heft without having to stuff them full of extra weight.Not quite as straight and consistent as aluminum, but a LOT better than carbon of equal price. My choice is Carbon Express Terminator Select.

Double Creek 11-05-2005 08:10 AM

There was an great article in last month's Primitive Archer about consistency matching wood arrows......

LBR 11-05-2005 01:58 PM

Any arrow, proplerly matched to the bow, can be shot accurately. With some, you may get lighter or heavier than you want, but you can usually make adjustments to get around that.

Personally, I like wood arrows. The only reason I started shooting them was to be "legal" for the longbow class at some tournaments, but the more I shot them and the more I learned about them, the better I liked them. I don't shoot them because they are "more traditional"--they do have their own benefits.

Getting them matched perfectly can be work, but a good shaft supplier will do most of that work for you.

Saying wood is for the fire, well.....I reckon everyone is entitled to thier opinions. My bow is mostly wood as well as my arrows. Wood has taken gobs of game and won gobs of tournaments. I'll just leave it at that.

Pick your arrows based on what you like and what works best for you.

Chad

mysticguido 11-06-2005 08:49 AM

3Rivers has a test kit, different spine arrows and you can see how they fly out of your bow. I went to a trad bow shop and found that 65-70 & 70-75 Fly like darts out of my Shrew Long Bow 51# @ 26" with arrows cut to 29" BOP 3 Left wing Nana's 125 gr Point