Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Trouble Tapering for points >

Trouble Tapering for points

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Trouble Tapering for points

Old 10-25-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Trouble Tapering for points

I got some shafts, and one of those hand held taper tools. Either I'm missing something, or it's not working correctly.

I put it together as instructed and tried to taper a shaft. It didn't work.
It cuts till the wood is no longer in the plane of the blade, then stops. It seems like the blade is being pushed up and won't cut into the wood. I've taken it apart and cleaned out the shavings between the blade and the contraption and tried to tighten down more, but nothing. It just spins. Almost like the blade side is not low enough for the blade to dig in. It's aluminum and the flat area below the blade on the edge was not very smooth. I smoothed it down so shavings would not be so likely to get underneath it, but didn't seem to help. I'm getting about 1/2" taper then stops.

Anyone else have the Tru-Center Taper Tool from 3rivers? What's going on? I'm going to have to get some more hex screws cause I've tried so many options I stripped the head.

C-
Old 10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Trouble Tapering for points

I tried one a few times--think I finally chewed it in half and threw it down the hill (or something like that). I never could get it to work right either--spent the extra money and bought a Woodchuck.

Sorry I'm no help here.

Chad
Old 10-25-2005, 05:44 PM

I see 3rivers sells extra screws....seems I'm not the first one. Mine was almost thrown, but not chewed in half yet. I'll give it one more go when I'm not sick when I have some patience.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

takes quite a bit of patience to make this thing work along with some minor blistering on occasion .

Try flipping the blade over (flat side up). If your blade is not super sharp (which they usually are NOT), you'll run into problems. Much like a spokeshave when tull it has a tendacny to tear more then cut, or does nothing at all.

Next getting the blade to the proper angle is only second to being scary sharp. It really is a decent tool however this is the one downfall of the hole system. The blades dull fast enough and resetting the blade is enough of a pain I went to using a disc sander or a woodchuck (have both).

One way to get super close is to take a shaft that's been tapered and you know it's spot on with what you want. NO sense in copying someone else's error right. Now run to the hardware store and for5 bucks or so they have a cheap angle guage that shows multiple functions. Without it, you're just guessing at where it should be.

Sharp blades and proper angle and this little snazzy tool works wonders.

One tip someone else gave me that I havent tried yet. He builds arrows on a scale I wouldn't deal with. He takes his true center (from 3 rivers), put's it in a vise mounted to his table. Once it's set up right he'll chuck up one end of the shaft in a jig he made for his drill and spins away. The higher revolutions give's it some hope to cut but again without a sharp blade it will only tear and eventuall do nothing all together.

best of luck.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chris, you don't mention it, so I have to ask....[&:]

Do you know there's a stop pin inside the barrel of the thing that you have to adjust? There's an allen screw on the side of the barrel. Loosen it up and push that pin to the depth you want your taper to run, thensnug it back down.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:32 AM

[:-]Give me a little credit here!!! hahahahahaha

Yeah, I didn't even put it in. I was going to put it in once I figured out how long my taper was going to be.

I think I'm going to try sharpening the blade and maybe do some mill work on the area just under the blade. It's nice soft aluminum, so I should be able to get it down a bit.

Lilhunter, you're right I have a blister on my middle finger.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

[8D]LOL! I figured you probably had more snap in your rubber band than to miss something like that. Just had to make sure...
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I kinda figured on the blisters .

I don't know though if I'd do any milling on this or not. I do believe it's made fairly well. I'd try the sharp blade first. The drill helps supposidly though I've never needed to try it. Hate to ruin the deal. You might also find a way to put a stop in or mark the taper tool once you get the blade right. Makes life a hole lot easier!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:46 PM

oh trust me, I'll either make it work or bugger it up beyond all hope. I'm good at it! I'm going to work on your suggestions first, if I still can't get it to work then I'll really dig in and screw it all up I think you may be right about the blade. I tried it out again at lunch, using a new finger, and it didn't want to cut at all. I'll get out the whetting stones and see what I can do.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:47 PM

Well,
Thanks to Lilhunter I got the bloody thing to work! Blades do have to be quite sharp!!!
One had a burr line turned up all the way down it. Knocked it off and honed it with some rouge...works like a charm now. The other blade was much better and required little work. I'll get some more screws and blades next order I put in and I'll be set.

Thanks L-hunter.

C-

Quick Reply: Trouble Tapering for points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.