Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Benefits/Non-Benefits of Cutting a Shelf Past Center on Longbow >

Benefits/Non-Benefits of Cutting a Shelf Past Center on Longbow

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Benefits/Non-Benefits of Cutting a Shelf Past Center on Longbow

Old 10-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Benefits/Non-Benefits of Cutting a Shelf Past Center on Longbow

Anyone care to comment, other then 3-d regulations.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Benefits/Non-Benefits of Cutting a Shelf Past Center on Longbow

3D regulations is a biggie for guys who shoot 3D. Another is, since the typical longbow riser doesn't have nearly as much wood in it as a recurve riser, cutting it past center could weaken it pretty bad. Better to have to work a little harder to match arrow spine than to get whacked on the noggin by half a riser.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought this practice went out when the last member of the THWAP-aho tribe was financially wiped out by the Sioux...

Old 10-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The nice thing is I can add a pressure point and not be extremely out past 1/8 as opposed to a more typical longbow shelf. It allows me to build it out to where it needs to be to fine tune and still end up with a small strip which is the only place my arrow contacts. This not only allows you to get great arrow flight but also helps minimize torque.

Take for instance a HH bow or a Robertson. longbow The shelves are so small you could NOT build it out anymore if you wanted or had to.

Art does bring up a good point though I think most of the typical R/D style bows have more then plenty to go atleast too center so you can work it back out accordingly, or leave it if you so desire, where as a more typical HH narrow limbed deep cored longbow does not without going to something likea phenolic riser.

The other thing is the closer to center shot the bow is, the easier it will be to come up with the perfect arrow flight. It would essentially allow you a wider spectrum of spines you can get away with and still come out with dart like consistency.