HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Opening Day "hunting" story (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/115117-opening-day-hunting-story.html)

COB 10-01-2005 08:29 PM

Opening Day "hunting" story

[blockquote]
A friend of mine was on his way home today from work around Newark. He called this afternoon and related this story to me. As a really good friend and bowhunter I know he would not lie to me as he has no reason to. As he was driving past a local establishment he saw a truck in the parking lot with a deer in the back. Out of curiosity he pulled in to talk to the bowhunter. For purposes of the story my friend is labeled friend and the “bowhunter” will be labeled hunter.

Friend: I see you got a deer. A six point buck.

hunter: Yes.
Friend: Kind of early in the season to shoot a small six point isn’t it?

hunter: no answer

Friend: What kind of bow did you shoot it with?

hunter: It’s an excalibur (here readers can substitute any trad bow, compound or what ever if it makes you feel better)

Friend: You probably should get it to the processor or get it in a cooler.

hunter: Oh I don’t eat em. I’ll just bone out what meat I can and feed it to my dog.

Friend: No answer. Turned and left.

Is it just me or do others see a problem here?

[/blockquote]

wyomingtrapper 10-01-2005 09:32 PM

RE: Opening Day "hunting" story

"Is it just me or do others see a problem here? "

Yeah. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to eat that buck and your friend might consider that a 6 point isn't too little to shoot early in the season.

bowman15 10-02-2005 05:01 AM

Agree 100% wyomingtrapper, on both points.

COB 10-02-2005 05:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys but I feel you may have missed my point. I don't think it would have made any difference to this "hunter" if it was a 6 point, a 16 point, or a doe. He said "I don't eat em".

Rich Baker 10-03-2005 01:22 AM

Id a beat the crap out of him! People like that need to be dealt with.

BobCo19-65 10-03-2005 06:39 AM

Well, I don't know. I certainly would not be happy with the conversation. I don't know about Newark, but around here in NY, there is a vension doantion program where you can donate your deer to a participating processor (most are), and they will prcess and donate the deer to a homeless shelter. I wouldn't have left without without educating the individual.

Rangeball 10-03-2005 07:34 AM

The guy apparently had a legal tag, took a legal deer with legal equipment and can use it anyway he sees fit.

It may not be what you or I or others or your Friend would do, but it's none of our business, which is a very good thing.

The longer we can keep our noses out of each others business, the longer we'll get to continue enjoying the freedoms we still have...