Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

best heavy longbow?

Old 09-19-2005, 09:55 AM

Default best heavy longbow?

Who is currently making the best heavy draw longbow? Price isn't much of a consideration,as it is not as important as the feel and quality of the bow. I currently have a 75# Hill Tembo that I love but it doesn't pull hard enough and I am thinking about ordering a new bow in the 100# range. Does HH still make a great very heavy draw longbow? Thanks!!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: best heavy longbow?

Howard himself was fond of shooting heavy draw weights, up to and over 100 pounds. I'm sure HH would make any draw weight you want.

Been there, done that and I've got the worn out shoulders to prove it.[&o] Be careful.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Arthur-
Yes, HH will make a heavy bow - up to a 200lb pull! I was going to order one from them, and I may still do that, but I want to get the best 100lb bow available, so I thought I would pick the brains of this forum.
Yes I will be careful. I have been doing very heavy weight training for a number of years which is now supplemented by an exercise that exactly reproduces the drawing motion (in addition to seated row, etc) So far so good with the joints.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:14 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't know of anyone that will go up to 100# on a longbow. Due to crap like insurance rates and frivolous lawsuits, lots of bowyers and companies are limiting how high they will go in poundage--that, and the fact that 100# isn't required for any animal on the planet.

Why are you wanting to shoot 100#? Just curious. You may live to regret it later on in life.

Chad
Old 09-19-2005, 12:26 PM

Chad-
I guess because I can. I figure a mis hit in the shoulder, etc should be more lethal with a heavier pull. I am not going to kid myself and assume I will drill a deer in the sweet spot every time like I do with my Outback.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Just how big a fella are ya? [8D]

Geeze man, talk about making me feel like a wheenie when struggling with 55lbs
Old 09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I just worry about folks ruining their shoulders. I used to shoot a heavy weight--shot tournaments with an 82# longbow, and have a flatbow here that I am pulling around 120# on (at my draw), but I seldom even pull it anymore--afraid of shortening my archery career!

I understand your thinking, but if you hit a deer in the shoulder you have buggered up--regardless if you are shooting 50# or 100#. This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but I think it's much better to shoot a bow that you are able to control better--for accuracy. No amount of poundage is going to make a shoulder shot or a gut shot a good shot. I was looking at a diagram of a deer's vitals just a day or two ago--can't remember the site, but if you can find one you will see that, with a broadside shot at least, if you hit the shoulder bone you have missed the vitals completely.

I'm not trying to bust on you or anything, I'd just hate for you to bugger your shoulder up or take a risky shot thinking the weight will compensate for it.

Chad
Old 09-19-2005, 03:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Found it.

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html
Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM

Chad-
You are not raining on my parade, and I appreciate any and all input. Hitting the shoulder is just an example. Depending on how the deer is standing, and the angle of the shot(ie, quarting toward the shooter), his shoulder blade might catch the arrow whereas otherwise you would get at least one lung if not two if you had the power to blast thru the scapula. Guess I could use the same analogy with a steep shot catchingthe edge of the spine(transverse process), or perhaps a rib. All I am saying is that all things being equal, give me more arrow speed or a heavier arrow at the same speed. Of course, this presumes that you can shoot a heavier bowas accurate as a lighter bow. I have found that I am more accurate withmy 75lb as opposed to a 60lb longbow. Maybe it is becausethe 75lb is more similar to my 70 lb recurve which I have more experience shooting. Less arrow drop maybe?
I am curious about the potential shoulder damage from shooting a heavier bow that both you and Arthur have referred to. Is this documented or one of those "everybody says this will happen so it must be true" things? I remember Johnny Miller saying that he lost his golf swing because of building up muscles working around his farm, which set golf back 25 years as far as conditioning is concerned. My understanding is that Howard Hill himself shot very heavy bows until he was quite old.
Nice deer diagram by the way.

Doublecreek - I have been accused of having relatives who swing from trees in the not so distant past.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can document it, because I've done it. I regularly shot upwards of 120 pound draws back in the 80's. Why? Because I could. Even better, because nobody else could.

But now I wish I'd never gone over 65 pounds. Both of my shoulders are so eaten up with arthritis now that I can barely draw over 50 pounds. I'm convinced it was all the shooting I did with those mongo bows that hastened things along.

Now, some people have no problems shooting very heavy draw weights way on into their golden years. Hill was one of those. I've heard of a few others. But, as I and my old shootin' buddies age, we've determined that those guys are the exception rather than the rule. Problem is, nobody knows whether they are the exception or not until the future becomes the present. By that time, the damage is done and there is no turning back the clock.

I'm not going to try and talk you out of getting a heavy hitter bow. Just passing along my experience and advising you to exercise caution. Don't overdo it. Always be sure you warm up and get your juices flowing before drawing that SOB!

Quick Reply: best heavy longbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.