HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Traditional Accuracy........ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/111886-traditional-accuracy.html)

Double Creek 09-07-2005 01:20 PM

Traditional Accuracy........

I know that traditional accuracy is a lifelong pursuit and one should never get satisfied with his shot.......... For us new guys, what should we consider satisfactory? At 20 yds you should be able to hit a [fill in the blanks] dot everytime......

How good are the top pros that shoot bowhunting rigs? What type of groups do they hold at 20-25 yds?

Rangeball 09-07-2005 01:26 PM

RE: Traditional Accuracy........

I took 4 shots today from 20 yards. Each hit the spot I was staring at. It was scary, so I put down the bow and walked away... :)

It's funny, with the string in my hand and no pins to worry about, I just stare down the spot I want to hit and the release happens automatically. I could never get to this point with a compound, I was always worring about something or other.

I'm very confident from 20 yards and in. Don't even want to talk group or target size. I take one shot at a time, stare down the spot, assess the result to monitor form, walk downrange to get my arrow and start over.

Double Creek 09-07-2005 02:09 PM

Those days are great aren't they? I was shooting like that at yesterday morning. I would walk back to 20yds and shoot.... bam!!! bullseye... Go get my arrow, walk to 12yds, shoot bam!!! bullseye......then back to 20 yds, 18yds, 8yds, 22yds, etc....

I also only shoot one arrow at a time, but based on my shooting, I have a good idea of what group size would be.

Arthur P 09-07-2005 02:21 PM

I don't know. Really! I think it's a mistake to get all tangled up in group sizes at such and such a distance, and then declare you'll never take a hunting shot beyond that distance. When you see the spot you want to hit and then you procede to do it, no matter what the distance is, that's acceptable accuracy.

A couple of years ago, I shot a quail at somewhere around 80 yards with a good 25+ mph crosswind. (I thought it was a clump of grass though[:-]) I knew I could hit it and I took the shot. Then there are times I know I'd probably miss the bottom of a #2 washtub at 20 feet.[&o]

Some days you gots the mojo and some days you don't.;)

Guss 09-07-2005 04:29 PM

To be honest with you my groups are not that good, but if I walk threw the woods and shoot at randome things I am vary acurate. When I am at the target I think about shooting, when I am in the woods I think about KILLING, nothing else gose threw my mind just the target I am aiming at. I am confident out to 18 yards on the ground and I shoot alittle better out of the stand.

Some days I get great groups and othere I dont, but I still have shots on those days that are great. For a kid with ADD, 3 shots in a row is alot to ask for. :(

axehind 09-08-2005 12:37 AM

I know some people wont agree with me... but I never thought to much about group size. I really just hunt so far with the bows I have owned. So to me the only shot that matters is the cold (first) shot.

Rangeball 09-08-2005 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: axehind

I know some people wont agree with me... but I never thought to much about group size. I really just hunt so far with the bows I have owned. So to me the only shot that matters is the cold (first) shot.
I agree with you 100%. When it's close to the opener, I only take one shot per day. It's funny, often times my first shot is the best shot.

kevin1 09-08-2005 11:02 AM

All in the vitals core on my 3-D makes me happy , all in the 3" heartspot is better but I won't cry if one of three lungs it instead .