Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

No-glove

Old 08-18-2005, 04:26 PM

Default No-glove

Do any of you traditional shooters use the no-glove on your string for hunting. Thinking about going to fingers, if i get good enough, i use the no-gloves for bowfishing, just wanted to know if anyone uses them for deer hunting on their string. Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 PM

Default RE: No-glove

I don't because I didn't like the 'feel' of them 'rolling' under my fingers so I usea deerskin glove and still shoot great with it.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It adds a lot of weight to your string in a crucial spot, and will slow your arrow down a good bit. How much depends on the bow, draw length, etc. but I'm guessing at least 10 fps, probably more. They are nice for bowfishing when speed and penetration aren't usually a concern, but I won't use one on a hunting bow.

Chad
Old 08-19-2005, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the replys, have one other question. I printed out a recurve shooters manual from a link someone had up awhile back, in the manual it says to draw the string back with the string deep in the fingers, does this sound correct. I was practicing using just the tips of my fingers, but i feel more comfortable with it deeper in the fingers, but it doesnt look like its as clean of a release. I just started trying the finger release, so i could be that i just need to practice alot more. Thanks again
Old 08-19-2005, 06:42 AM

Thruthevitals,
I wouldn't use one as I think the thickness of the NoGlove is too thick and because of that 'rolly' effect you tend to have to position it deep into your fingers' grooves - making it much harder to get a clean release. I like having MY fingers in contact with the string itself so I can 'feel' it better.

And no - positioning it deep in your fingers' grooves doesn't sound right.

Just my $ .02...
Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried one or something very similaryears ago and didn't like it much. Never used it agaian.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:00 AM

Me too...

IMHO - it sucked. Thing I didn't like about it was it had too much mass, tended to make my fingers want to roll the string too much to release off of it, was a mass on the string which means slower arrow flight - albeit even if only a few fps. PITA to install on a string.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:09 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

A deep hook doesn't seem like it would give you a better release, but in my opinion (and according to many top 3-D shooters) it does. It will give you more control and better consistency. I used to shoot with the string as close as I could get it to the tips of my fingers--I also had major release problems, even shooting 82# on a longbow. I went to a deep hook (first joint) and it helps a whole lot. One thing to remember is you have to just relax your hand and let the string shove your fingers out of the way--nobody is fast enough to move their fingers away from the string, and trying to do that will cause you to pluck.

Chad
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chad, I have never really used a deep hook before. It doesn't feel comfortable to me. I do on rare occasions have a pre-release[8D]problem where I am not ready to release, but do. I think if I worked on the deep hook, it would be fine. How do you compensate for the string being further from your face. Seems it would take a lot of getting used to.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:38 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It was a little weird at first, but I didn't have any problem getting used to it quick. The way I anchor the arrow is lined up directly underneath my eye. I use my forfinger as my primary anchor, on a tooth that's straight under my eye. My secondary anchors are my middle finger in the corner of my mouth, and my thumb underneath my jawbone. This may or may not work for you, depending on the shape of your face. Going to more than one anchor point really helped me also.

Chad

Quick Reply: No-glove

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.