Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Broad head ?

Old 05-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Broad head ?

It has been a while since I had a question. Have any of ya shoot the monotec heads, if so what did ya think. Also I would like some feed back on any other heads you think are good and worth using. I would like a cut on contact head, and I dont like bleaders that come off to easy.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broad head ?

Montecs are too high-dollah for my wallet, so I haven't even considered trying them. If I really wanted to shoot a head with bleeders, then I'd use Zwickeys. the bleeders are part of the ferrule and won't snap off.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot Magnus now for 7-8 years. They are a tough, devastating head. I've never wrecked one. I've lost em but never wrecked one, including the bleeders. I've shot as many as 4 deer with one head and never had to replace the bleeder. The bleeders fit snug. I've got to use a pliers to pull them out to resharpen them.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot 2 or 3 blade, but if I were gonna shoot a 4 I'd go w/Arthurs pick. Zwickey is a time tested & proven design, & I don't want even the most remote chance of a replaceable razor hiding inside of a critter I'm about to dress out.

Lots of ppl use & love replceable blade heads, but I'll pass - thank you very much!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yep--what they said. I know the broadhead is a very important part of your set-up, but you get to a point where you aren't getting what you pay for--or you are paying for a lot more than you really need. For instance, you don't need a .300 Mag for rabbits.

There are lots of great heads on the market, but for my general use I have been very pleased with Ribteks--and they are one of the most reasonably priced heads on the market. I've shot gobs of small game with them, and the one deer I've shot with them went down in about 30 yds. This was after a complete pass-through, knicking a rib going in and coming out, and burying up 7 5/8" into the ground. The head is not damaged at all, and with a small amount of touch-up sharpening (and washing the dirt off) would be ready to hunt again--but I have the arrow lying on the rack.

In my limited experience, there are two things that are very, very important in how far the animal is going to travel--shot placement, and the mood of the animal. A deer that is on alert is generally going to travel a lot further than one that has no idea what just bit them. A deer with a hole in both lungs isn't generally going to go nearly as far as one with one lung taken out, or even a heart shot. Super shap heads seem to bother an animal much less also--getting cut with something really sharp doesn't hurt much, if at all.

Chad
Old 05-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Thanks guys, it looks like broadheads are just like anything else, lot of good ones to chose from.
later