Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Are you looking for a long range shotgun & bullet?? >

Are you looking for a long range shotgun & bullet??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are you looking for a long range shotgun & bullet??

Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are you looking for a long range shotgun & bullet??

These are facts and not fiction.

Follow these basic principles and you will kill at 200 yards with a shotgun...but closing the deal depends on following every bullet point.

This is only my experiece based on facts and kills...your gun choice is up to you...but you know you need a rifled barrell to get to 200 consistently...

so anyways..

[ul][*]Buy an H&R Ultra Slug 12 Gauge[*]Vice the gun and sight it in at the range with very low wind[*]Sight the gun in for 2.5 inches high at 100 yards, 0 @ 150 yards.[*]Buy Hornady SST 300gr. 2000 fps bullets.[*]Never ever flinch..always squeeeeeze when you sight in your H&R[*]Learn the gun...Shoot the Hornadys and understand what the bullet does[*]You willlearn exactly what the back of the box tells you on the Hornadys. 7.5 inch drop @ 200 with a 0 @ 150 yards..[/ul]
Most importantly, carry a rang finder in the woods with you...

If you have a good rest, and wind is minimal...you will kill a deer at 200 yards with a shotgun with this set-up....

I placed the cross hairs an inch below the spine with my H&R and Hornady SSTs and I drilled this doe behind the shoulder at 200 yards....see pic

The reason I say these are facts is because I've killed 7 deer at 200 yards...When you start to think and use this set-up you will begin to flip deer at 150 yards like you did when you were 16 when they were 40 yards with a smooth bore..

Good Luck...remember...digest what I have said in the bullets...analize every detail of what I have discussed...and go out on your mission to close the deal...It will work....you can thank Hornady & H&R...and yourself for not flinching...Watch the wind!!

Remember!! Follow ever bullet point I've mentioned..if you don't you're adding more variation into your actual group setting and capability.

Good Luck My Friends!!!.....here is a 200 yard doe from this year...

aim point...1 inch below the spine and range finder @ 200 yards.....bullet entry shoulder shot..I had a 2 inch error from bullet drift, wind, and human error...

Print this out and go to the store to buy the gun and bullets......then goto the range.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you looking for a long range shotgun & bullet??

There's only 2 flies, but very BIG fliesin your statement-to begin with, you're ASSUMING ANY H&R slug gun will perform exactly as your's does, AND as you well (or SHOULD) know, not every slug gun will always like the exact same loading. Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled you have such a nice shooting setup, but there's NO way in hell that every slug gun of exact type/brand/model of mass produced quality will produce exact same level of accuracy as yours does or even shoot same exact load as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

With that being said..I agree...

Buy an H&R and test the Federal Barnes, Winchester, Hornady, or Remington sabots...find what the gun loves and continue with the set-up I mentioned.

It must be Barrel tolerance that makes one gun love a bullet more than the other...

Example:

The engineering bore tolerance is +/-.050 microns...so where ever the machining process falls..and whatever your final bore dimension is...it may love Remington...and it may hate Hornandy.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

lots of respect to you MW, you did great with your setup and getting to know your gun and load!
-Jake
Old 12-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Typical Buck

How does the Federal Barnes compare to these others in trajectory or accuracy?

quote]ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

With that being said..I agree...

Buy an H&R and test the Federal Barnes, Winchester, Hornady, or Remington sabots...find what the gun loves and continue with the set-up I mentioned.

It must be Barrel tolerance that makes one gun love a bullet more than the other...

Example:

The engineering bore tolerance is +/-.050 microns...so where ever the machining process falls..and whatever your final bore dimension is...it may love Remington...and it may hate Hornandy.
[/quote]
Old 12-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The same H&R that loves my Hornadys also loves the Federal Barnes. I use to shoot them. They were actually a tad bit more accurate than my Hornadys...

When I say "tad bit" I'm saying 1-1.5 inch groups with federal and 2 inch groups wih Hornady (@100 yards)

I went with the Hornady because I was gaining 4 inches of bullet drop at 200 yards.

With Federal I was in the 8-10 inch drop range out to 200
With Hornady I'm in the 5- 6.5 inch drop range out to 200.

Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The engineering bore tolerance is +/- .050 microns...
Are you just making this stuff up as you go along?

If engineering tolerances were 0.050 microns (or micrometers (µm)), I seriously doubt that we'd have any problems with accuracy at all. But I think that you've got your units mixed up, as there is no way that the engineering tolerances would EVER be that tight for a firearm, at least not one any of us could afford. A micron is one MILLIONTH of a meter, or 0.000001 meters, or one thousandth of a millimeter (0.001mm). 0.050µm would be 0.00005mm. I would be very surprised if any factory firearms were made to a tolerance of less than +/- 0.001" (inches), or 0.025mm. I know most custom gunsmiths with good tooling can fairly easily get those tolerances down to < +/- 0.0005" (0.0125mm), and the best 'smiths can get +/- 0.0001" (0.0025mm), but it takes excellent equipment and a good bit of time and effort and TLC to do it, something no factory made gun will ever get.

On the other points, most of what you said is true, assuming that everyone else who buys an H&R slug gun will get the same results you have (not likely). Everything else is all BASIC MARKSMANSHIP, something everyone toting a gun in the woods OUGHT to know, but unfortunately this is not always the case. All you really did was state the (hopefully) obvious... Find an accurate gun/bullet combo, sight in the rifle at the range you want to reach, know the ballistics of the bullet and use good marksmanship techniques.

BTW, what's the wind drift of that bullet at 200 yards in a 10mph, full value crosswind? How about 15mph, gusting to 25mph? I'm guessing it's somewhere between gutshot and running and "I put a good shot on it, but I searched for hours and didn't find the deer."[:@]

Mike
Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just glad to see you've done your homework in developing the perfect load for you & your slug gun. Sadly, most people don't even go to that kind of trouble with centerfire rifle/load. You're also correct that factory dimensions & tolerances is the reason all guns are slightly different. I'm not used to microns form on measurements but most factory barrels will vary up to .002 in chamber/throat/barrel tolerances, with some brands/quality levels naturally being closer than others. I've always dreamed of being able to make my own barrels but will have to be content to order from the top quality barrel makers and machine to final dimensions. I'm sure if I ever did get into barrelmaking, I would lose the few hairs I have remaining on my forehead.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you actually chronograph the SST? I did, when they came out in 06', I got around 1700fps(12ga /24"), 2000fps is what the box says, not necessarily what the slug does. FYI many ammo manufacturers use 30" barrels to test their loads.

That aside, congrats on the doe & long range kill.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was using .050 as an example....

The moral of the story is know your gun and ammo in various situtations and just be confident...understand how the guns acts...and carry a range finder..

Quick Reply: Are you looking for a long range shotgun & bullet??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.