Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 VA opening day for me...**UPDATE** >

VA opening day for me...**UPDATE**

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

VA opening day for me...**UPDATE**

Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default VA opening day for me...**UPDATE**

Well, got to the stand at about 6:00 am without bumping anything going in. As I got to my stand and took my pack off and was tying it and bow to string, a snort came from about 30 yrds upwind. It didnt move, but rather waited and continued on the acorns letting out another snort as I climbed the sticks and sat down. Before I hoisted my bow and pack up another snort from about the same distance, but from my left. Neither ran or were spooked enough to leave the scene. It was still pitch dark so I couldnt see what was where, but I knew they were all around.

As the sun came up I noticed two small does at about 25 yrds but heard other activity beyond the leaves so I passed. About an hour into my sit, I put a dip in and was anxiously awaiting getting an arrow on its way to some venison. Suddenly I heard a hound, and then a few more in tow. I stood up to see what was going to happen and within 3 minutes all hell broke loose. 4-5 does scattered towards the creek and a nice 6 pt headed up the ridge trying to circle the dogs. My morning hunt was BLOWN...thanks to idiots letting hounds out on the first day of bowseason!

I get down and got out of the woods, went home and went to bed until about 1:00 pm. I went to the opposite side of my property and sat up in a stand I knew was between bedding and a ton of oaks. I got settled in, and noticed a fresh new rub a few yards from the stand. a couple hours later 3 does walk just outside of range for a shot, and 15 minutes later a 2 yr old 3 pt walked in the same line...just beyond my comfort range to shoot. At around 6:00 pm I heard some motion coming from the smaller cedars about 40 yrds away and heard it make its way around to the acorns and start feeding. I saw its body but couldnt tell the sex. As I waited for it to give me a shot, the distinctive sound of a hound on a fresh track suddenly came from my rear. I turned to see what the hell was goin on and a pack of 5 hounds with numbers painted on them ran two small bucks out of the cedars and cleared my area of any more deer.

I just dont understand these people around my hunting spot. I have 140 acres of private land but bordered on two sides by two seperate hunt clubs, and its in black and white in our regulations that you cannot train, or run dogs out of season. I contacted the warden and told of my first day of my BLOWN hunting day due to the dogs. He came out and I was able to get two of the dogs on camera so I gave him the pictures. What will be done...Im not sure but I just dont get these guys who do this without even a lick of consideration. I know some members of the clubs, wrote letters months ago to them and told them I would be bowhunting and to respect my land and hunting rights. I guess this is what you get for speaking out!

Im expecting a call from the warden on Monday to find out what he was able to do, but I understand that he was prepared to write citations. I will be out of the woods until Wednesday morning due to work, but Thursday morning Im back to the first stand. You have no idea how tempting I am to see what a rage would do to a hound, but Im a dog lover and would never lower myself to do it.[:@]

I have two other parcels but are my preferred gun hunting areas due to some thick areas and a river that borders one of them. If this keeps up with the dogs I may have to pull my stands and concentrate on the other parcels for bow.

Does anyone else have any experiences with knucleheads like these? What would you do?

** UPDATE**

The Hanover Animal Control contacted me today concerning actions toward the dog owners and Hunt Club. Citations were written to two seperate owners for failure to display county rabies tags from 4 previously captured dogs on my leased land. The hunt club was also contacted and cited for multiple violations regarding the following VDGIF regulations. Dont get me wrong, but I love a good dog hunt during shotun season, but it is apparent that certain violations are being strongly upheld this year. Im not sure what the amount of the citations add up to, could be a slap on the wrist, but at least they are no longer "under the radar". This is how the law is written:

Hunting With Dogs

Dogs may be used to pursue wild birds and animals during hunting seasons where not prohibited.
When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or archery tackle on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs must identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent.
Unlawful to use dogs when hunting any species with archery tackle during any archery season. [/b]
Unlawful to chase with dogs or hunt with dogs or to attempt to chase or hunt with dogs any wild animal from a baited site or to train dogs on any wild animal from a baited site. Furthermore, it shall be unlawful to place, distribute or maintain bait or salt for any wild animal for the purpose of chasing with dogs, hunting with dogs, or the training of dogs. Abaited site will be considered to be baited for 30 days following the complete removal of all such bait or salt.
It is unlawful to intentionally cripple or otherwise harm any game animal for the intent of continuing a hunt, or chase, or for the purpose of training dogs. Upon treeing, baying, or otherwise containing an animal in a manner that offers the animal no avenue of escape, the person or the hunting party shall either harvest the animal if within a legal take season and by using lawful methods of take or terminate the chase by retrieving the dogs and allowing the animal freedom to escape for the remainder of the same calendar day.
It is unlawful to dislodge an animal from a tree for the intent of continuing a hunt, or chase, or for the purpose of training dogs. [/ul]
Training Dogs
The training of dogs on live wild animals is considered hunting and is unlawful during the closed season except as noted below.[/b]

You must have a valid hunting license while training dogs on live wild animals. [/b]
You may train dogs during daylight hours on rabbits and non-migratory game birds on private lands. Participants shall have no weapons other than starter pistols in their possession and no wild animals shall be taken. Weapons may be in possession when training dogs on captive raised and properly marked mallards and pigeons so that they may be immediately shot or recovered, except on Sunday. [/b]
You may train dogs on National Forest or Department-owned lands only during authorized training seasons that specifically permit these activities. [/b]
You may train dogs on National Forest or Department-owned lands only during authorized training seasons that specifically permit these activities.
You may train dogs on quail on designated portions of the Amelia Wildlife Management Area (WMA), Chester F. Phelps WMA, Chickahominy WMA and Dick Cross WMAfrom September 1 to the day prior to the opening date of the quail hunting season, both dates inclusive. No weapons other than starter pistols may be in possession, and pen-raised birds may not be released.
Pen-raised quail may be released at any time on private land with landowner permission. However, except on hunting (shooting) preserves, birds can only be shot during the regular quail season. Regular bag limits apply. [/ul]
You may train dogs during daylight hours on rabbits and non-migratory game birds on the Weston WMAfrom September 1 thru March 31, both dates inclusive. Participants in this dog training season shall have no weapons other than starter pistols in their possession, shall not release pen-raised birds, and must comply with all regulations and laws pertaining to hunting. No game shall be taken.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: VA opening day for me...

Sorry to hear that man. Here on the westside of the state noone runs hounds for deer. But later in the season the bear hounds are sure to make an appearance.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Oh but remember Hoyt No body runs deer with those dogs, they are fox hunting...[8D][8D] I tried to to talk sense into the dog guys on the dog forum, no use... sorry it happened, but unfortunately, it's quite common here... just more BS to put up with.... Im sick and tired of it, and Im a dog hunter!!! Just wait til the damn season opens like you are supposed too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

You have no idea how tempting I am to see what a rage would do to a hound, but Im a dog lover and would never lower myself to do it.[:@]

Does anyone else have any experiences with knucleheads like these? What would you do?
Don't do it Jeff... its a felony in Virginia... you can forget about ever hunting again. Having already contacted the warden and the adjoining hunt clubs, you've really done about all you can do.

Landon and I both have been dealing with this our entire lives... ask him or me...... this sort of thing honestly happens at least 25% of the time in my experience during archery and black powder season.... of course that depends on where you hunt.

Yesterday.... we had no less than 8 deer inside 75 yards..... with one good doe inside 40... rebecca was locked in and waiting as the deer was on the trail that would of led her 15 yards broadside past our groundblind. This was with about a hour and a half of light left... the deer were moving early... it was perfect.

Three high as a kite teenagers on a gas powered golf cart came stroking down the path on my buddies land next to his house. Laughing and cussing about how they didn't care that it wasn't their land or that we were hunting, they drove literally within 30 yards of our ground blind... and I honestly thought Rebecca was going to kill them. She came out of that blind like a PBR bull from the shoot. Their parents were out on their yacht... and these kids were home from reform school. My friend and his parents have talked to their folks about this kinda thing before.... obviously they don't care either, and thats why they have kids doing drugs at the age of 14.... and in reform school to boot. We saw a few more deer, but it was too dark and they were on big time alert at that point. So it goes.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dealt with this problem for years when I hunted my brothers spot in Spotsylvania. Dogs would chase perfectly calm deer and make bowhunting absolutely suck...I couldn't stand when the guys would come "retrieve" their dogs on my brothers property while ruining my hunt..dang it I would be red in the face!
Old 10-05-2008, 05:35 PM

hey I got one for ya...I know a guy who went to his club yesterday and he and about 6 others hunted all day and none of them saw a single deer......he said he did not know why....I said to him...."maybe it's b/c you guys just held a "field trial" last sat with 250 walker hounds blowing through the woods!!!"" he disagreed and I left it at that....
Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that totally sucks... I know how you feel. Been there, done that, had enough... [:@]

Even though I am in Richmond, I flatly REFUSE to hunt east of the Blue Ridge. Sorry guys... Say what you want... Like I said, been there, done that. I had so many hunts spoiled by deer dogs, I gave up.

Thank God I got into an excellent deer camp out in the GWNF. I hunt out there all the time now!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Man, that totally sucks... I know how you feel. Been there, done that, had enough... [:@]

Even though I am in Richmond, I flatly REFUSE to hunt east of the Blue Ridge. Sorry guys... Say what you want... Like I said, been there, done that. I had so many hunts spoiled by deer dogs, I gave up.

Thank God I got into an excellent deer camp out in the GWNF. I hunt out there all the time now!

We are investigating the eastern shore ourselves. BIG deer.... and lots and lots of ducks!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:50 PM

and no DOGS!!!! It is sad....I like to dog hunt, hell Im in two dog clubs, however, I don't like to bowhunt with dogs!!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

and no DOGS!!!! It is sad....I like to dog hunt, hell Im in two dog clubs, however, I don't like to bowhunt with dogs!!

Its like bass fishing with jet skiers.

Quick Reply: VA opening day for me...**UPDATE**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.