Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Human food in the woods >

Human food in the woods

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Human food in the woods

Old 08-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Human food in the woods

Are you against food in the woods? Do you go all day without eating, come in for lunch, or do you pack enough in case you get lost? Do youthink aboutnoise and scents? These are all the things I think about when purchasing "the stock" for hunting camp. Am I crazy, or do others do the same things as me? If you doI'm looking for suggestions to change it up this year.

I'm ahuge believer inscent control. I try tolimit myself where I can, but I'm commonly referred to as the garbage disposal. I eat like a horse andpoop, well... like two horses.Since I can't go more than a few hours without a decent meal, I tend to load up when heading to the woods. I take a frameless hiking backback w/ extra socks, food, and hunting accesorries. I don't believe in leaving for lunch. Once I'm in a stand before light, I'm there till dark. Occassionally I'll moveto another standor start a drive for the guys.

Things Ieat in the woods and why:

I remove all things from their original packaging and place them in1/2-1 gallon size zip lock bags. I feel these produce the least amount of noise and holds in the scent. I find the other sealing bags a hassle to close when you're not looking and they make more noise.

I'm not one of those guys that can eat junk all day. I like to pack cold hamand cheese sandwhiches with aLITTLE bit of spicy brown mustard (for flavor, too much means scent). Usually four, sometimessix. That's my main course. I know you're suppose to bring a few foods high in sugar to keep you warm and alert. I limit that to soft chocolates ie, peanut butter cups, however that scent drives me nuts and I'm looking for something else.Sometimes twizlers. What I'm really looking for is a substitue for my combos. I just can't get over the chrunchiness. It goes against my stealthiness nature. Any tips there? I usually take pre cut beef jerky as well. That way I'm not making huge motions as I tear another piece off. Plus I like to stick it in my lip and act as if it were a chew. This gives me something motionless to do and passes by the time.

Drinks are strictly water. I figure that's what smells the least and won't make me pee. Some people suggest caffeine to stay awake, but the last thing I want todo is pee 20 feet high in the air and let my scent travel through the wind; not to mention mess up my immediate surrounings. I try to pee in the empty water bottles when I do go. I don't like the hot drinks for two reasons, steam and scent. Anyone come across anything good aside from water? Maybe Vitamin Water (sorry Benand Mike.I'm a Pepsi guy all the way, butLife water sucks)?

Anyone else this intense or am I crazy? For the rest of you crazies... any tips?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Human food in the woods

PB&J...super crunch if you please sir. Gatoraid to drink...use the empty bottle to piss in. Can't go wrong with a couple of snickers bars either.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:49 PM

Snickers is one of my chocolates, but I feel the peanuts reduce my hearing. I like the idea of PB&J w/ smooth peanut butter, but I think peanuts put out a very strong smell.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I am very similiar in that I can't go without lunch (or breakfast). If I do I always get very sick and dizzy. Supper, I can do without. I usually take 2 sandwiches, a few of those Peanut butter cups and a bottle of water. Never anything other than water. I also like to take a banana with me too. I won't rule out an apple in place of the banana when its warmer, but when it turns of cold, no way will I take an apple. I think the banana helps my sensesstay sharper. All of it is put into a small ziplock bag.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

i always take a bottle of water and a snack just in case.

rick
Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ham sandwich , snickers ,water,or jerky I always bring something with me to eat on stand
Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always cook a ham and carve it into hunks for the boys at the cabin to make sandwiches. Its become kind of a tradition. The joker who started this thread is the biggest consumer of the bunch.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it's an all day hunt I may bring a Protein bar, or a Candy bar for a pick-me-up.

For evening or morning sits..I don't bring any food.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

PB, and bacon sandwiches....no seriously they are good. Salami and cheese bagels. Or just go for the good old dehydrated meals. You can add Emergen-C to the water for a nice flavor, and your limit of vitamin C.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

On all day sits I think I'm gonna bring some jerky, Maybe some sandwiches ,1 Monster Energy, and some Gatorade.

Quick Reply: Human food in the woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.