Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

3rd Arm tree arm

Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 AM

Default 3rd Arm tree arm

I've had mine for a couple of months now and I'm very pleased with it. It's easy to adjust, smooth and rock steady.Plus thereare no wrenches needed to adjust it. I'veknow the guy who developed this arm, he is a good ole boy from Mississippi and also a cameraman, so he knows what an arm should be able to do to get the job done right.

[/align]

[/align]If you're in the market for a quality tree arm check out the 3rd Arm.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Spike

Default RE: 3rd Arm tree arm

They should include a fluid head for the price though.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM

I would imagine most folks already have a fluid head they can use on a tree arm.
With all the different cameras being shot it's impossible to include a head that will work for everyone.
They offer three different fluid heads to match what kind of equipment you shoot.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Spike

I would tend to disagree. HunterCam Cradle offers various heads on their units or at least I had some choices on mine. According to the owner they may even be coming ou with models for bowl mounts on their new version that has not made it into production yet.

Once again I am not knocking anyones product but I just don't see why you would want to pay the the price that most people are asking for just an arm when you could have the arm and head also for possibly just a little more.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM

I just don't see why you would want to pay the the price that most people are asking for just an arm when you could have the arm and head also for possibly just a little more.
I'm not trying to start a pissing match here but I'm having a hard time seeing why you think the HCC is such a bargain, especially if you look at the total costs including a quality fluid head, not to mention the Tree Extension you would need to video 360° around the tree like I can with my 3rd Arm.

Consider this…

HunterCam HD – rated for up to 6 lbs.
w/no head option- $230
w/700RC2head - $290
w/701HDV head - $350 (Just a guess, not priced on their site.)
w/501HDV head - $450 (Just a guess, not priced on their site.)
Add $75 for the Tree Extension (Needed to cover 360° around tree)

3rd Arm – rated for up to 10 lbs.
w/no head option- $244
w/128RC head - $345
w/701HDV head - $388
w/501HDV head - $489

HunterCam Pro – rated for up to 12 lbs.
w/no head option - $444
w/700RC2head - $490
w/701HDV head - $565 (Just a guess, not priced on their site.)
w/501HDV head - $645 (Just a guess, not priced on their site.)
Add $75 for the Tree Extension (Needed to cover 360° around tree)

3rd Arm Extreme – rated for up to 22 lbs.
w/no head option - $301
w/128RC head - $445
w/701HDV head - $388
w/501HDV head - $546

For the record, I submit that neither of the above mentioned 128RC/700RC2 heads should be classified as a fluid head. There is nothing fluid about these heads. They areat bestreferred to as "pan" heads, not fluid heads. Nobody that I know that is serious about producing top quality video owns one.

Look, I’m fortunate to be able to do this stuff for a living. I film hunts all over the world andspend over 200 days a year in the field. In that capacity, I’ve used just about every tree arm out there (Including the HCC and I was NOT impressed) and nothing and I mean NOTHING has come close to what the 3rd Arm does for the price. I encourage you to take a look at it because I know there are a lot of folks out there looking for something that works. I know when Iwas first getting started in this businessI would have killed for a tree arm that worked that didn’t cost $1000.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

The 3rd arm looks ok.............if I were in the market though I would get the Rock Steady.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hope I am not as dissapointed in the HCC as you were, since I just bought one about 2 months ago.

How my pivot points are on the 3rd Arm?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM

How many pivot points are on the 3rd Arm?
Two, one at the base, one at the joint in the arms.
Take a look at the web site and you can watch a great video demonstration to get a better idea of the specifics.

Lungbuster, I talked to Skip about his Rock Steady arm before I found the 3rd Arm. I think he has one of the best arms out there for what it is, which is a CNC milled aluminum arm of the type most pro shooters will be very familiar with because of the design since it's been copied so much by others. However, at a price tag of $600 without a headhis product is in a price range that is out of range for most budgets, including mine. I still think he has one hell of a product and I like the guy but he has no mass production capabilities.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 PM

It definitely looks like a good product. I notice in your avatar that you are running a XL2? Which model tree arm do you use for your camera?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM

I sold the XL2 but replaced it with the XLH1a. I have the 3rd Arm Extreme model because I also shoot heavier cameras such as a Sony XDCAM (17lbs). I don't always shoot my own equipment so I needed a tree arm that would accommodate a wide range of cameras.

Quick Reply: 3rd Arm tree arm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.