Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gray Wolf Woolens?  What's the fuss all about? >

Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

[align=left]I hear so much about this Wolfskin clothing... At least once-a-day, somebody refers to it as the gold-standard in hunting clothing. It's great, it's the second-coming of Jesus, it's this, it's that...Everybody else seemingly accepts this as gospel,so I had to see for myself.

Like any Curious George, I clicked my way across the internet planet and arrived at "Gray Wolf Woolens," fully-expecting to be greeted by streets of gold, rainbowsand champagne flowing from the heavens. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Let's just say that my reception was less-than-expected.

Forgive me in advance for questioning the authenticity of the accolades that I've read over the years on here, but what the hell is so great about this stuff (other than the price)? Do these people own stock in the company, or is it really THAT good?

[/align][align=left] The Fendi of Hunting Clothing

I've looked at their site, and honestly - the clothes look quite average.100% polyester, with a rain treatment. They almost look like your garden-variety BDU's. No stock scent containment. Custom-cut to size.Uber-expensive.Seriously - these are Dolce & Gabbana prices. We passed right over "expensive" andquickly entered the realm of "absurd."

Maybe it's bad pictures... Maybe it's the fact that they offer the Predator patterns... But either way, I just can't see what makes these garments even approach beingworthy of theirobscene price tag.

Is "custom" sizing that important? Cabela's hawks pants in every conceivable size known to man. It might take me a few tries, but eventually, I will find a pair of pants that fits perfect, without having my clothes tailored or dropping 4 bills on a pair of camo pants.

Have you guys ever even seen this mythical Wolfskin clothing in person? What the hell makes it so great?

For the price of a pair of pants, I feel like they should automatically detectthe fill level of mybladder, then unzip and gently lift my Johnson out of my whitie tighties,and finallytuck it back in when I'm finished.

Seriously - you're looking at $1000 for a winterhunting outfit. Want Scentlok? Get out your checkbook homie. That's extra.

$329.95 Seriously. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php?cat=19 [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Maybe I'm nuts - but it just doesn't seem economical to be blowing that kind of bling on a hunting outfit. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Is it a "pride of ownership"thing (like a Rolex watch) - or is the on-field performance actually sufficient to warrant the price tag?[/align]
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

I've not really heard too much about them. I think I'll pass on a $800 for camo. I don't think all the hunting clothes I have add up to that much...[&:]
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live by one rule. Never buy pants that cost more than your shotgun.

Fran, even if they are 1% better than non grey wolf pants....isn't that worth it? Or is it all about the money?[8D]
Old 08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Preach the word quicksilver. So I went to the web site also and WOW! Nothing like have a camo that costs more than your bow. For this kind of money, the shirt should remove itself, field dress the deer for you and drag it to the truck for you. CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wolfskin is just about the best material you can buy for hunting cloths. That said, you can get Wolfskin for much, much less than what your showing here.

That pair is wool line and very expensive but I'd bet if your hunting in high altitude snowy peaks, AK in winter or the Arctic Circle, it's a very small price to pay for your safety and comfort.

In our everyday bowhunting here in the states, simple Wolfskin and proper layering will suffice.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a product geared for a very specific buyer.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM

I've had several pieces that I subsequently sold.... Very high quality gear but overpriced IMO...

A pair of unlined wolfskin pants with pockets will cost you $150+.. That's pretty damn stout for pants! The best deal going is the lined vest IMO and the only piece I wish I still had...

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I live by one rule. When faced with a bargain.....buy it.

If I told you what I paid for my wolfskin garments, you'd ask me how to get onboard. It's MUCH better than "the clothes look quite average.100% polyester, with a rain treatment.".

Custom-cut to size.
Check.

I just can't see what makes these garments even approach beingworthy of theirobscene price tag.
For what some are charging....I agree with this statement.

Have you guys ever even seen this mythical Wolfskin clothing in person? What the hell makes it so great?
Of course. I wear it when the leaf drop and temps allow me to. The quality of the garment isn't in question. It's there. The rain propelling aspects are an added bonus.

Would I pay what "they're" asking, though?

Nope.

Do I care if someone else does?

Nope.

Honestly, though.....I paid less for mine than a LOT of people paid for their sights, though.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

As one of the resident clothes hounds here of course I have Grey Wolf Woolens Wolfskin Jacket and Pants.Predator Grey and Comformax lined.If I had it to do over again I would have purchased them unlined because they would have more versatility.
Enigma Camo is the best value going in wolfskin clothing,having said that the Grey Wolf Woolen stuff is incredibly well made and will last a life time.No different than the Sleeping Indian or King of the Mountain stuff from an expense point of view.
Do you need it? NO,but none of us need $800 bows and arrows that are $10 a piece.Yes it was a lot of money and I am not sure that I would do it again or do it in the same way (I would go unlined).From a quality point of view I do not have any clothing that is better and as a few of you know I have a bunch.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are officially the only pants I've ever seen where pockets come as an "option" andcost extra.

Joey - I agree 100%.

Scot - you are DEFINITELY a clothes-hound, buddy! FWIW - Idefinitely think the King of the Mountain gear is another level of clothing. Maybe it's just the presentation on their site - and I've seen it in person. My first reaction was "you can't get this stuff at cabela's."

Jeff - this statement speaks volumes.

Would I pay what "they're" asking, though?

Nope.

Quick Reply: Gray Wolf Woolens? What's the fuss all about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.