Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 problems caused by spine issues? >

problems caused by spine issues?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

problems caused by spine issues?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default problems caused by spine issues?

i am just wondering...everyone talks about spine and how to get the correct spine on an arrow....however,,,,if you are overspined or underspined what damage does this cause??

bad arrow flight? is it bad for your bow? i am just wondering
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: problems caused by spine issues?

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

i am just wondering...everyone talks about spine and how to get the correct spine on an arrow....however,,,,if you are overspined or underspined what damage does this cause??

Underspined....broadheads will group right of your field points, overspined....they'll group to the left.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

1st, bad arrow flight, bad groups, might even cause clearance issues, and wear on your fletchings. Second, there was alot of testing that concluded that bad tune, caused arrow spine to loose spine over time. I used to not believe it until I saw it for myself. I shot some beman hawks for years for a spare bow. Over time, they lost alot of spine.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok..thanks guys...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Generally, too much is easier to deal with than too little. But don't make the mistake of several folks I know and deliberately run too stiff of an arrow. You try to get as close as you can to ideal, and if you have to choose, err on the side of a little too stiff. Adjustable draw weights, different weight heads, and the latitude to cut arrow shafts to length has always given me the ability to tweak the spine to a nearly ideal stiffness.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd always lean a touch toward overspine vs. underspine, esp. if you've considered upping poundage any at all. Theoretically, underspine equals more wobble which should result in poorer arrow flight, and more inconsistency. But the NUMBER 1 reason I won't shoot underspined is.....

Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Spike

OUCH!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I'd always lean a touch toward overspine vs. underspine, esp. if you've considered upping poundage any at all. Theoretically, underspine equals more wobble which should result in poorer arrow flight, and more inconsistency. But the NUMBER 1 reason I won't shoot underspined is.....

holly crap!!! that sux....

u guys talk about getting to the "ideal spine" .... what is the simpiliest calculation to get that??

i mean, if you know draw length and draw weight how do you calculate the "ideal or perfect" spine on that arrow
Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Scary? Yep but more than likely shooting under spine was not the cause. I have seen arrows that were over spined blow up as well. A damaged shaft will explode regardless of the spine.

I agree with most. You need to get as close to ideal as possible

Dan
Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got that pic in an e-mail yrs ago. It had nothing to do with spine! The arrow was damged and it was shot......... a damaged arrow may cause it too be underspined but I don't think thats what this about. You should post pics of the guy with the allum arrow in his hand too...... overdraw back in the day. Or the one of the guy with a BH stuck in his skull...... guess he stood up in front of a friend that was about to shoot. I'm no pro but I would think a pic like this the guy would have to be shooting .500 spined shaft on a 90lbs+ draw weight. That pic has little or nothing to do with this thread........... unless your the guy that got the arrow thru your hand[:-]

Quick Reply: problems caused by spine issues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.