Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Rage BH for a Crossbow? >

Rage BH for a Crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Rage BH for a Crossbow?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rage BH for a Crossbow?

Anyone use rage BHs with a crossbow.

I'm going to try to take my daugter out late season for he first deer.

I have a PSE Foxfire crossbow. Its an older Crossbow my grandfather bought in the 80s. It 125lbs and a compound.
I shoot trad mostly so I want to make sure the BHs are ok to shoot out of the crossbow.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rage BH for a Crossbow?

I tried both the 2 and 3 blade RAGE heads.
They both flew great out of my Excal crossbow.
Even though I killed a deer with each one, I was dissapointed in their performance.
I don't think they are sharp enough.
Just my 2 cents worth.

xbowbarry

Old 01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

mine shot fine in both my CB's but if you dont pay attention they can and will open alittle if bumped around,I went back to fixed for shooting out of mesh blind...other then that I like em....
Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I referred Jason over here from the bowhunting forum to see what you guys think about using mechs at all on an older PSE Foxfire at 125 lbs draw. I wasn't sure it'd have enough poop to get them to work right, and I was hoping he'd get some good input from you experts on the matter.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

most mech bh'shave a min of poundage andKE it takes for them to operate right and I belive its around40....
Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur,

Where did the info you have come from? I shot the crossbow. It hits realy hard much harder than any 40 lbs bow I've seen. Of coruse its shooting 2117s so they are pretty heavy. It still seems harder than a 40 lbs hit. Regardless I won't have her shoot over 15 yards.

The only real reason I've considered them is beause I don't have a good BH target and as late in the year I may not be able to find one. So I won't be able to have her shoot with the normal BH's. Rage BHs are supposed to shoot like a feild point plus I have a practice one.

Heck we may not even get a chance to go out. If it stays to cold for her. I don't want her to get turned off from hunting by getting to cold etc.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 AM

I don't have any experience with rage. Seems like alot of guys don't like the three blade design because if they do not open just right the blades can get caught on each other. There seems to be a OK response when talking about the two blade design. I used the Tekan II's this year and they do fly just like my field tips with no out of target fliers at all. They hit the center every time. They are alot like the Rage and have a cam style design, but a solid center. That PSE was only 125#, but if I remember right they where wider then the new CB's and had a long power stroke so the speed and KE was not to bad if I remember right, but I could be thinking of another type. The cam style likethe Rage and Tekans do not take near the energy to open up like a rear hinge style mech. They only have to slide back with little effort. But regardless no matter what you buy you should still shoot a few practice rounds to make sure they are good IMO.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The # came off a vert site were they say 40lbs is the least to have when useing Mech,so I wouldnt worry at 125 with a cb...Its the force/KE that opens a mech not nessesaralyspeed...but it helps..
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jason, the info I posted came from several books. They all say basically you can draw an approximate comparison to a conventional bow's power by dividing the crossbow's draw weight by 3. On the newer crossbows, I'm not so sure that's applicable any more. On an old one like yours though.... That's why I wanted you to come talk to these crossbow experts.

I was hoping you could get some reliable information from them on whether the performance level of that old Foxfire is up to the task of using mechs. Does it generate 40 ft lbs of energy?

I guess you'll have to chrono it to find out for yourself. Until you're certain though, I'd recommend sticking to fixed heads like Slick Tricks.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had great results with a rage out of a horton legend xt175 but im packing alot more punch than you are. If i was you id try to stick with a cut on contact just for the fact with it being only 125lb its prob not going to be very fast you're ke will probably be low in the 40-50lb range and it's not worth risking.

Quick Reply: Rage BH for a Crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.