Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting for a career? >

Hunting for a career?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting for a career?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting for a career?

I was bored the other day, and found myself surfing various hunting industry websites (mossy oak, HB, Drury Outdoors, Rutjunkies, etc) reading the Bios of the staff members. It got me thinking whether or not I would ever want to enter into a career in the industry of hunting. Granted, I know many pro staff aren't full time, but given the opportunity, how many of you would enter the industry if you could make a fulltime career out of it? Obviously, hunting is a passion for all of us here, so it would be somewhat safe to automatically assume doing this as a career would be the ultimate life, but there's other things that came to mind that made me question it:

1. A career which finds you on the road a large portion of the year.
2. One in which may lead you into mostly hunts done on paid "ranches" where they just plop you in a tree and wait for the 160 class to come along.
3. The potential for your dream job to turn your passion into just another "job" with all of the associated stresses, etc.

Now, a couple of things I feel I need to mention. I know I mentioned a few companies that are very prominent on here with pro staff members as part of our community here at Hunting.net (HB, rutjunkies). Now I know these and many other companies hunt primarily or completely in fair chase non-guided situations, so please don't think I'm anyway implying that ALL of the pros fall into the above observations, it's just my opinion from watching various TV shows that many "pros" careers wouldn't appeal to me.

Ok, so, now am I nuts? What's everyone else's opinion? Given the chance, would you hunt for a career?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting for a career?

I've had the chance to and at one time seriously thought I wanted to work in the hunting/archery industry as a career path. Not in a "Pro Hunter" role, but in other aspects involving marketing/sales. I turned the opportunity down and now after knowing several people that have been there......I've decided a normal 9-5 job that pays me well enough to hunt hard now, and to retire young is really the best fit for me. I wouldn't change anything, except I'd love maybe another week of vacation per year to help better balancevacation between family/hunting.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

MHensler...I agree with you. I don't think I could do it full time, I think I'd lose the passion for it. Now, part time pro-staffer probably would be pretty cool. One of my good friends got on with Primos a few years ago. He isn't in the inner circle, but still really likes it. Plus he gets some nice perks.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I've had the chance to and at one time seriously thought I wanted to work in the hunting/archery industry as a career path. Not in a "Pro Hunter" role, but in other aspects involving marketing/sales. I turned the opportunity down and now after knowing several people that have been there......I've decided a normal 9-5 job that pays me well enough to hunt hard now, and to retire young is really the best fit for me. I wouldn't change anything, except I'd love maybe another week of vacation per year to help better balancevacation between family/hunting.
Yeah, I have a very similar philosophy. I'm a first year teacher (hired right of college, so I'm very fortunate). The pay is very good, the cost of living in this area is relatively low, and I get plenty of time off (including my whole summer). Only downfall, is a I really can't take weeks at a time off during hunting season, but I still am able to hunt most evenings after school.

What do you do Matt? I've often wondered, and I actually thought you did work in the archery industry, but I guess I was mistaken.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you have to do something full time to make money, it is no longer a passion but the source of continuing your lifestyle. That puts pressures on that would take enjoyment out. Then I have to consider the fact that hunting for me is partly going out with an unknown (ie will the deer be moving down through this area today?). When you hunt private ranches, a lot of that is gone. Personally, I would like to see more hunting companies use more beta testers and less paid staff.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

MHensler...I agree with you. I don't think I could do it full time, I think I'd lose the passion for it. Now, part time pro-staffer probably would be pretty cool. One of my good friends got on with Primos a few years ago. He isn't in the inner circle, but still really likes it. Plus he gets some nice perks.
Yeah I feel many of the guys on Rutjunkies and HB are part-time pro-staff (correct me if I'm mistaken), and I wouldn't mind that. As Matt stated above, I wouldn't want to be a "pro" hunter, but moreso involved in the industry, even if it was on the video production side of things.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be the minority, yes, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I think getting paid to hunt/fish would be be a lot of fun, it might get old after a while but if I ever had a chance to work in the hunting industry I would do it.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

In a heartbeat. I'm not a fan of going to work. Many people look at it with the perspective of if its your job, then you won't like it as much. But I think I'd look at it as I'd finally be doing something I like so I wouldn't view it as a job. I think people whose job is thier passion are very lucky.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know, it's easy to say "yes" to that question before significantly giving it very much thought. Matt (RJ) hit the nail on the head though, as I too am affiliated with enough manufacturers to know that if you love to hunt, don't go to work full-time for them (and I'm not referring to myself; I'm talking about my friends and acquaintances that work for those companies full-time).

Those guys' busy seasons always seem to peak when they'd love to be out hunting, but unfortunately can't because that's when they either need to be in their offices or out working the circuit making hay when the sun is shining...

Quick Reply: Hunting for a career?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.