Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The Predator camo pics you've asked for the last two years... >

The Predator camo pics you've asked for the last two years...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default The Predator camo pics you've asked for the last two years...

I finally had time to do it.

For two years plus, I've been inundated with Predator camo questions. I've always tried my best to answer each PM or posted question directed to me thoroughly, and to the best which my communicative abilities of the written word would allow. I think I've done a pretty good job in explaining why I believe in Marc Barger's patterns so much. Those huge, contrasting geographic blocks simply break up the outline better to me than anything else I've seen on the market; the overlaying sticks and limbs are simply icing on the cake.

I've preached the word "contrast" in every discussion of camo I've participated, and I think these photos will show why. They're not "staged"... nor manipulated with some photo-editing software. Far from it; they were taken with a simple five-year-old Sony point-and-shoot digital camera, and not even under the optimal conditions to "showcase" the pattern. Deer don't necessarily show up when conditions are right, however -- nor from the direction you would always like them to. That's what I think makes this pictorial even more effective. Understand this thread is not to put any other pattern down; if you're happy with the pattern you wear, fantastic. This is for those who've asked for this from me for too long, and to serve as a reference for future questions.

This first pic is how I look probably 80% of the time on stand: release hooked up, bow hand lightly gripping the bow as the sling supports the weight. The pattern is Predator Spring Green:

Already, you can see the importance of what we call the "open concept" in this pattern; I fear photo-realistic details so intricately captured in some of the mass-marketed brands would be disappearing even at this dstance into one solid mass of color, otherwise known as the "blobbing effect."

Below is Predator Fall Gray. As good as the Spring Green looks above, I like this pattern even more. I'm often asked if Fall Gray works equally as well for me when the trees still carry their foliage; to me, that answer is a resounding "yes"...

Here's always been my explanation: If the pattern is universally deemed so great after the leaves have dropped and the backdrop is predominantly bare limbs and bluish-gray, hazy skies -- then how much better will it peform when you add a bunch of leaves into the mix? The addition of a canopy of leaves only serves to help any camoflauge pattern -- not detract from it. Take ANY camo pattern that can stand alone in a barren tree, and now add leaves into that equation... It's only going to be better.

My "standard of measure", below... What does your camo look like when the tree trunk isn't behind you? Do you become a blob? Or can the pattern still break up the human outline? That's Fall Gray, by the way.

The second Fall Gray pic above turned to black and white:

And a Spring Green in black and white:

To those who've wished to see pics like these for some time, thanks for your patience. It's been great fun over the years picking the brains of some great contemporaries in the camo business. I've especially enjoyed my conversations with Marc Barger, the designer and inventor of Predator Camoflauge. I'm especially thankful for my relationship with Jeff Aulik and for him printing these patterns on the finest fabrics available to bowhunters. Jeff owns Gray Wolf Woolens, manufacturer of some of the finest custom-fit clothing in the hunting industry utilizing only the very best fabrics available, and can be reached through www.graywolfwoolens.com.

Last edited by Greg / MO; 01-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The Predator camo pics you've asked for the last two years...

Great pics! I love my predator. I wore a full spring green suit yesterday morn. I had a buck look " right through" me.
One thing Greg.... I dont know if thats one of your sets, but if it is, make sure you remove those stand straps. I had a deer bust me last year on a windy day. I forgot to tuck the straps in on my Lone Wolf climber. They were flapping around and he caught it!!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Bartender

I see for right now hard to come by for fall gray at the website. Also no local dealers near me but I will keep my eye on that site.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Next time I'm hunting, I'll get some of my predator evolution.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Good pics Greg. My old Spring Green suit is tattered and in fact is going out to the trash today. Though I like the Fall Grey as well I think the Spring Green works at least as well, and it may well be my favorite Predator camo.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great explanation, great photos, great post!!

As usual I share your thoughts and feelings about predator including what others think of whatever camo they favor...

Well done!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wicked cool! Dang you're going to make me spend a lot of money lol [8D].
Old 10-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's ok Greg we know it was probably on backorder all that time!

Order now, to have any chance of having by next season!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do this Greg! You were the deciding factor last year for me to buy Predator brown deception. I love the stuff.

I just looked on their website and they are now contracting out a few companies for dipping bows in the brown deception pattern. That would be awesome but probably not worth the price. I'll check to make sure though.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 AM

You're draw length is too long..... j/k buddy.....I see a guy with a bow drawn in these forums, it's almost a reflex anymore....[&:]

Excellent pics, and excellent review.

Quick Reply: The Predator camo pics you've asked for the last two years...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.